Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I have the previous gen 2 TB Time Capsule. The WiFi on it seems to crap out about once a week. The front light remains green, but even after just letting it sit for up to 15 minutes, the WiFi to all devices seems completely dead (oddly, the 2 wired devices still work during that time). I have to them pull the power plug on it, wait 15 sec, plug back in, and then in a couple minutes all back to normal.

Firmware and everything seems to be current. Is it something that the "Genius" bar can help me with? It's happened 4-5 times now over the past month. My previous AEBS I think remained on and stable for 5-6 months straight at a time.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like the wifi radio in your TC is bad. That is not something a Genius can fix. If you are still under warranty they will just give you a new one.

Something you might try first though it to reset the TC and see if that helps.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have the previous gen 2 TB Time Capsule. The WiFi on it seems to crap out about once a week. The front light remains green, but even after just letting it sit for up to 15 minutes, the WiFi to all devices seems completely dead (oddly, the 2 wired devices still work during that time). I have to them pull the power plug on it, wait 15 sec, plug back in, and then in a couple minutes all back to normal.

Firmware and everything seems to be current. Is it something that the "Genius" bar can help me with? It's happened 4-5 times now over the past month. My previous AEBS I think remained on and stable for 5-6 months straight at a time.

I have the same gen as you and mine has been trouble free since late 2012 when I got it. Sounds like a faulty unit. As I bought it with my iMac it's covered under the applecare I purchased at the time. If it's under warranty contact Apple to see if they will swap out or replace.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
It sounds like the wifi radio in your TC is bad. That is not something a Genius can fix. If you are still under warranty they will just give you a new one.

Something you might try first though it to reset the TC and see if that helps.

Does resetting wipe the internal hard drive though? I'd really prefer not to do that if so. Took forever for those initial TimeMachine backups.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
And just to make sure it's not a neighbor's new device causing interference, try reconnecting your old wifi base and testing to see if it still remains stable or if it too craps out.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Well, after another week and then another crash, time to take it to the Genius Bar. Hopefully they will actually be helpful.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'm having similar issues. The culprit seems to be my HP printer, which connects via wireless. If I power it off, there is never a problem. If I power it on, I can count on my last-gen Time Capsule freezing up within a couple of days. Other than this behavior, the printer works fine.

Like OP, I dread losing the backups on the internal HD. Fortunately I have several external HDs attached via a USB hub, and all the family's computers are set to back up alternately to one or another of the disks. So replacing the Time Capsule won't mean I lose all the backups ...at least, I hope that the external disks will plug into a replacement Time Capsule and "just work". (But, now that the new AirPort Extreme is supported by Time Machine, I'd recommend that over the Time Capsule in the future, for the specific reason that all backup storage is external and nothing will be lost if the router needs replacement.)

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'm having similar issues. The culprit seems to be my HP printer, which connects via wireless. If I power it off, there is never a problem. If I power it on, I can count on my last-gen Time Capsule freezing up within a couple of days. Other than this behavior, the printer works fine.

It's interesting that you mention this. I have 2 HP wireless printers connected to the router, but they have been there for some time (P1102w and OfficeJet 6500). I don't see why they would be a cause though for shutting down the router. We weren't printing at the times of the lock ups.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
They were very nice at the Genius Bar. Explained the problem, all the reset methods I tried, and within 5 minutes they gave me a replacement unit. Hopefully this one works perfectly!

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
They were very nice at the Genius Bar. Explained the problem, all the reset methods I tried, and within 5 minutes they gave me a replacement unit. Hopefully this one works perfectly!

Please keep us posted.

----------

It's interesting that you mention this. I have 2 HP wireless printers connected to the router, but they have been there for some time (P1102w and OfficeJet 6500). I don't see why they would be a cause though for shutting down the router. We weren't printing at the times of the lock ups.

A firmware update for a printer or the Time Capsule itself might have introduced a bug.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Fir some reason, the 2TB models have a higher fail rate...drives and wifi. I have a 3TB that does an enormous amount if work, and it's never missed a beat. It backs up 2 Macs, provides 4 connections for smart TV, Blu Ray device and is the main distribution point for all my wifi.

It's way out if warranty, but continues to work flawlessly. Now I've posted this, watch it crap out...:D

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Let us know if it happens again even with these printers now being readded. If it does it may not be the printers at all.

So far so good. As with all of my computers and devices, I powered them all off when re-connecting to the network. Test prints to both printers have seemed fine so far. I also checked the HP website and the OfficeJet 6500A didn't seem to have any firmware update and the P1102w was already up to date on firmware from July 2013.

Will definitely keep posted...

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Time Capsule is nice to have as an integrated router with the drive, but I definitely put more priority on performance and stability.

Hopefully this replacement remains perfect, but I was considering selling it and then buying either the current-gen ac AirPort Extreme or even another brand router (like Asus or Linksys) with ac support. I've never been a big fan of the limited AirPort Utility.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Troubleshooting disappearing AirPorts is a common problem. I am thinking about writing a guide for it.

Interesting. I've only used Apple Airports and I've never had one disappear off the network. Not saying you're wrong... just my experience.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It seems to happen alot depending on alot of factors. For instance, the one at my home is rock solid, but the controlling Extreme for my other network is a bit shabby in terms of dropping out.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Troubleshooting disappearing AirPorts is a common problem. I am thinking about writing a guide for it.

Please do.

When mine craps out (again, it seems like it ONLY happens when that particular HP 8600 printer is turned on, and then only rarely/randomly), it doesn't disappear, but it can't be connected-to by new devices, and already-connected devices remain connected but don't get actual Internet access.

It happened again twice yesterday. Very annoying.

----------

Hopefully this replacement remains perfect, but I was considering selling it and then buying either the current-gen ac AirPort Extreme or even another brand router (like Asus or Linksys) with ac support. I've never been a big fan of the limited AirPort Utility.

Actually I went screaming to the Time Capsule after horrid experiences with D-Link and a very highly-rated Asus. After nothing but trouble and returning several routers, I decided to-hell-with-it and got the Time Capsule. It's been flawless ...until this recent frustrating spate of seemingly printer-related hangs.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
My previous gen TC was rock solid (don't use its wifi) until this latest firmware upgrade. Since then it will lock up every 5 days or so.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think that the upgrade over 7.6.3 is causing the issue. Once I downgraded to 7.6.1 it ran fine for a long time. I am going to try jumping from 7.6.1 to 7.6.4 to see if it runs better. I have seen that 7.6.4 has been a good firmware otherwise.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I think that the upgrade over 7.6.3 is causing the issue. Once I downgraded to 7.6.1 it ran fine for a long time. I am going to try jumping from 7.6.1 to 7.6.4 to see if it runs better. I have seen that 7.6.4 has been a good firmware otherwise.

Please let me know. I have 7.6.4 on this replacement unit and so far still ok (5 full days now). Hopefully it keeps up.

vipermo

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
LonDon
Any update on your replacement is it still working ok ?
I'm only asking cos mine is doing the same thing..
its the new shape one.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Any update on your replacement is it still working ok ?
I'm only asking cos mine is doing the same thing..
its the new shape one.

So far so good with the replacement unit. No issues that I have encountered and no complaints from the rest of the family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.