Time Capsule + Netgear DG834G

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by liamray, Dec 13, 2008.

1. liamray macrumors newbie

For Christmas I am getting a 500GB Time Capsule. At the minute I am using a Netgear DG834G Modem/Router.

I was wondering if the T.C. could be used as the main wireless router, and then the existing DG834G as a wireless signal booster for use in the back garden, (only phone sockets are at the front of the house).

2. coopermac macrumors member

I use the Netgear DG834GT and a 500GB Time Capsule and they perform well together.

The TC is not a modem but is an ethernet and wireless router so the Netgear will have to remain as your modem.

The simplest set up will be to add the TC, by ethernet, to the Netgear in bridge mode. this will allow the Netgear to continue in it’s current form and you could have either a separate or conjoined addition with the TC. If you have wireless devices running b or g and others on n mode then you can set the TC to run n only and keep the n speed for the n only devices.

There are many options available and the Apple guides to networking on their website explain it well.

3. liamray thread starter macrumors newbie

So would that mean I need to leave the DG834G as the only one connected to the phone line?
    Then the TC would be connected by wireless / wired to the DG834G for the normal use...?

Does the speed not get cut by the DG834G to a maximum of g rating though?

Thanks (sorry if I'm being thick :p)

4. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Is it possible to let the DG834G work in bridge mode ???

5. coopermac macrumors member

I don't think so if you are using it as a modem too. It probably will work if you have a separate modem to feed the TC and then use the DG834G as a router only.

6. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Problem is that, as I have post in other threads, I can't get my AE to properly work while joined to the Netgear network. I have tried everything, even a reinstall of the OS, all possible and impossible settings. Still nothing to do.
    So I'm thinking about an extreme (an expensive) possibilty. Buy a TC (which I'd like anyway), use the DG834G in bridge modem and the TC as the main router doing all the networking stuff . But don't know if this is possible.

7. gathart macrumors regular

Interesting thread - couple of questions:

I am new to all of this, so if I seem to ask ridiculous questions, it is just my ignorance.
    (1) what is a bridge mode
    (2) can you use an airport extreme in one part of your house and use a TC both as your main backup and as some kind of a ''jumping point'' in another part of your house.
    (3) Is timecapsule a good idea or not - get from the reviews a mixed picture - some say it is great others its useless and breaking down too often.
    (4) can you have more then one backup system?

I really apreciate your help, thankk you.

Gerard

8. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Basically the netgear acts just as a modem, delegating the networking stuff to some other device (e.g. the Time Capsule)
    Obviously
    Of course you know that there is no answer to this, right ?
    You should be able to connect an external drive to the TC

As for the bridge mode of the Netgear I found the (local) link
    http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm

Haven't tested yet, but should work.