Time capsule network extended by airport express conundrum

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ammusk, Apr 20, 2013.

1. ammusk, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

ammusk macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to achieve something but I'm not able to. Here's some background:

1. Have a network setup on my time capsule
    2. It has been extended using an airport express
    3. We have frequent electricity outages so the time capsule has been connected to an UPS
    4. The airport express isn't connected to an UPS
    5. So whenever the electricity shuts down, the time capsule is on while the airport express shuts down
    6. The wifi signal from the time capsule is good enough only for my MacBook Pro but the airport express' signal strength is much better
    7. Other devices (ipad, iphone) are primarily connected to the airport express
    8. My MacBook Pro gets backed up on the time capsule periodically.
    9. The MacBook connects to the wifi using the airport express (because the signal strength is better)

Now here's the problem:

An electricity failure during a scheduled time capsule backup will be interrupted because the MacBook will lose it's wifi for a moment before it reconnects to the time capsule. Thus the backup would be interrupted.

Therefore it's preferred that the MacBook connects only to the wifi from the time capsule and not from the airport express althought they are the same network.

I've tried the following with no success:

1. Block MacBook from airport express using access control. Unsuccessful as the settings are simply copied to the time capsule as well.
    2. Create a guest network and only extend it using the airport express. The MacBook will connect to the main network while iPads and iPhones will be on the guest network. However, the airport doesn't extend *only* the guest network.
    3. Connecting only the MacBook to the 5 ghz network is out of the question because it's out of range of the 5Ghz network. 2.4Ghz is fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. ammusk thread starter macrumors regular

I can't buy another ups. I'm saving for something else.

Am trying to work around buying another ups