Time Capsule Network Speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by conshok26, Aug 14, 2008.

1. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

I just bought Time Capsule and I have it set up as a wireless network. I have it set up for 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) because I have some non 802.11n things connected. Since it is mixed would my 802.11n MacBook Air and iMac connect at the max speed by default or is there something that I need to do manually?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sa I have a G network, but I put a B device on the network, the entire networks slows down to the lowest speed. Same thing goes for N and G device.

3. conshok26 thread starter macrumors 6502

conshok26

so right now i have my old g wireless router connected to my cable modem and then the time capsule connected to the g router with a wired connection. i then have a 2.4 ghz n network set up through the time capsule for my n only machines. the speed doesn't seem like it's a huge difference and my time capsule back ups are still slow. would it make a different if i change the order of the routers? having the cable modem go to the time capsule then a wired connection to the g router.

4. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

That's what I would do, but I don't have 2 routers on 1 modem, so I could be wrong. Seems like I'd want the better one to have a direct line to the modem though.

5. conshok26 thread starter macrumors 6502

conshok26

my tranfer rate under wireless clients is only about 78 on my imac and from what i hear it should be higher then that. my mba is about 100 - 130 and some have higher then that too.

6. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I have a similar setup. It's called dual-band.

I'm also using my old Airport Extreme as the G network connected to the cable modem. For my N network, I'm using a makeshift Time Capsule (Another Airport Extreme, but with a USB hard drive plugged in), and have it set up to use 5 Ghz.

Seems to work well, but I haven't done any speed tests.