time capsule newbie questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Appletise, May 23, 2015.

1. Appletise macrumors member

Is there a need to add all my media files in the 1TB external drive, when already use it as a time capsule, does it will save all my recent files anyway? So if get new mac l just connect my 1TB external drive to my next new macbook pro and do l get the same settings and files that are in my current mbpr? If so what is the procedure other than just connecting the USB HD to the next new mac?

2. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. But it sounds like you're asking how to transfer your files and settings from an old Mac to a new one. There are several ways to do this, but perhaps the most straightforward is with a Time Machine backup. So, yes, if you get a new Mac, just connect your external drive (with current backup) and use Migration Assistant to bring over your files and settings. Hope that helps. Again, I'm not totally clear on what you're asking.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Does your time Machine backup in the time capsule contain all the files you want on the new machine?

If so, when you start up the new Mac, you can tell it to migrate all your settings from a time machine backup... point it to your time capsule and everything will be put on the new computer. It may take many hours.

It may be quicker to use a USB drive with your backup instead of the time capsule, but that still takes awhile.

You may also be able to use migration assistant to directly connect the two computers and move your settings and files.

There are a couple good on-line guides describing how to set up a new Mac to look like your current one. I'm sure someone will jump in here with some good recent links, its been awhile since I upgraded to a new machine.

Files that are not included in your time machine backup will have to copied to the new machine manually. Can be as simple as dragging and dropping a folder.