Time Capsule Not being found

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattrsa, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mattrsa macrumors member

Had my time capsule for a few days now and have had no luck setting it up.

I have installed the cd and want to add it to an existing network.

I have gone to the airport utility in an attempt to set it up as said in the instructions but it does not find the capsule.

It is place right next the computer so its not a problem with the range.

The amber light is flashing on the front which i know what it means but cant seem to work it out.

Any ideas?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You won't find it until you change your network to it's default network. Then you can set it up to work on your old network.

TEG

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Connect your computer to the Time Capsule with an Ethernet cable. Unplug the cable after it is set-up.

4. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

ok but when i search for wireless networks the only one which is being picked up is my current wireless network and nothing else.

Should I be able to browse and see the time capsule as another network?

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You may need to fully reset TC. Press and hold the reset button for at least 5 or more seconds or until the amber light flashes rapidly then go through the setup assistant again.

6. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

well it seems to have recognised the drive now altho I have connected it via ethernet and then simply run time machine and selected the drive.

It seems to be backing stuff up now so I will leave it run and see what happens, then try set up the wireless back up.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Good. You want to do that first backup by ethernet anyway. When it is done go back to Airport utility, with ethernet still connected, and see if it will let you set up a network.

8. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

well this time capsule really is a piece of rubbish, It started to work so I left it on all night and it got to backing up 3gig of 50 and then crashed the computer.

Also i have had to change the power setting as dispite it backing up the laptop was still going to into sleep mode which caused the back up to stop.

I have had to plug the battery and pull the power three times now as the laptop keeps crashing, not happy !

Matt

9. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

well I seem to have got it working now but it seems very slow backing up via ethernet

its been going about 15 min and only done 100mb , is this right?