Time Capsule not owned by backupd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drumaero, Sep 16, 2008.

1. drumaero macrumors newbie

I've been having some strange errors lately with Time Machine backing up to Time Capsule. I just installed 10.5.5, but still having issues. The latest is this (from the log file):

Backup requested by user
    Starting standard backup
    Network mountpoint /Volumes/X Time Capsule not owned by backupd... remounting
    Backup requested by user
    Network volume mounted at: /Volumes/X Time Capsule-1
    Creating disk image /Volumes/X Time Capsule-1/XiMac_001f5bf61985.sparsebundle
    Backup requested due to disk attach

Any ideas what it means when it says mountpoint not owned by backupd, remounting, and then creating a volume with "-1" appended to the name? Is this an indication of a problem?

2. howiethemacguy macrumors newbie

howiethemacguy

Exact same problem!

I'm having the exact same error except it's with backing up Macs over a network to Leopard Server. The console log has the same error messages for backupd. The "1" being added to the volume name is an indication that backupd doesn't have permission or ownership over the mounted Time Machine destination volume (Time Capsule/Server Share). It tries to correct the problem by mounting it again. Any time you have two identical volumes trying to mount, Finder adds a "1" to the volume name. Since the permissions/ownership problem still exists, the backup failed. I worked with this for about 4 hours today but, to no avail. I thought it was the Drobo drive that I was using but, since a lot of people are having this problem with Time Capsule as well, I don't believe that the Drobo is the issue. The issue is either a flaw in the Time Machine share on my server or on the Time Capsule or, it's a flaw in how a client machine attaches to a Time Machine share over a network. A lot of people are experiencing this issue so Apple needs to get off their ass and fix this now! I noticed that you posted your entry in September!!!

3. drumaero thread starter macrumors newbie

ridiculous

I feel your pain. I have been struggling with my time capsule time machine setup ever since I got it. Not nearly as reliable or seamless as I had hoped. It is now connected to the time capsule via ethernet, which is working so far, but does not do much for my wife's Mac in the other room. Maybe Snow Leopard will address some of these issues.