Time Capsule "not recognizing" backup disk consistently

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amnichols10, Jan 18, 2015.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

Currently running OSX 10.10.1
    Time Capsule Firmware is 7.7.3

Sometimes time capsule skips backups. When I go to Airport Utility it doesn't "recognize" the time capsule, suggesting that it is out of range or disconnected.

Mind you the internet is working properly and the Airport Xtreme is working just find. It just doesn't disk that is being use for backup.

What fixes it every time is doing a hard reset of my time capsule. When it restarts everything is fine, but I'd rather not do that every time I run into this problem.

Does anyone know the cause of this, or possible solutions to fixing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. ColdCase, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've been seeing something similar, but rarely.

It seems that when waking from sleep TimeMachine is sometimes ready to backup before the wireless is connected (see complaints about wireless problems after latest OS updates). When this happens, TM seems to marks the drive not available and refuses to backup to it. Dunno, just a theory. Do you by any chance use the TC for file share along with a TM destination?

Anyway, I delete the problem drive from the TM preferences window and then add it back in. TM seems to find the sparse bundle just fine and presses on without issue.

I hear that deleting the TM preference file may also resolve the issue, but I haven't tried that. http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

3. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think that it has to do with Yosemite? Where would the TM preference file be located?

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

There may be a problem with the disk, a problem that can't be detected with OS X alone.

Is the disk external, or internal?

Apple - Wi-Fi - Compare Wi-Fi base stations – do you have the AirPort Extreme, the AirPort Time Capsule, or both?

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Do you have both an AirPort Extreme (no built in drive) and a TimeCapsule (built in drive)?

If so, how are the two connected? ...ethernet cable or wifi?

6. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

The disk is internal (TimeCapsule).

The TimeCapsule is connected to a router via ethernet

Do you guys think I should take the time capsule into a local Apple Store to help figure out what's going on?

7. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

This was a chronic problem for me with Yosemite, up through the 3rd 10.2 beta. Then I restarted my Extreme and the problem has all but disappeared. (New Extreme with an external HD, not Time Capsule.)

8. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

So running 10.2 beta a reset solved the problem?

9. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

My guess is the reset fixed it. It also fixed some Continuity issues under the Betas: I couldn't make or receive calls on my Mac.

10. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Hopefully they fix it when they release 10.2