Time Capsule not seeing external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gaelinic, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Gaelinic macrumors regular

Hi, I'm new to Macs and just got a 1tb Time Capsule and set it up successfully. I can log on the internet and use it as a storage device. However, when I connect the external 250gb HD I have to it, it doesn't recognize the drive. Airport express says there is something wrong with the drive. But, if I connect it directly to my Macbook Pro, I see it just fine. I'm transferring all my music to the Time Capsule. I was just hoping to use it as more storage.

Is there something else I should be doing? The external HD is a Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250gb drive. It was used with a PC and has many PC files on it. Should I have formatted the drive for a Mac?

I'm also thinking of taking this thing to the Apple store to see if they can help me. I've seen others on other boards have the same problem but no answer was provided.

Thanks.

Gaelinic

2. mheidt macrumors member

What format does it have? NTFS isn't recognized.
    But that's exactly what I did, when I had such problems...Format it for a mac!

3. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

It is formatted as NTFS. So, I can see it when it is connected directly to my computer but not when it's connected to my Time Capsule? I can't format this drive since it contains backup information for my wife. But, at least I know the answer and can now get a new HD and reformat it for Mac, unless they already come formatted that way. If the drive says it's compatible with a Mac, will my time capsule see it, or should I reformat it again anyway.

Also, how the heck do you forward delete on this keyboard? :D

Thanks.

4. mheidt macrumors member

NTFS is not writable on OS X anyways...

Regarding forward delete...you don't.
    But that's something you'll get used to.

Something you don't if you have to switch between OSs a lot, is the position of the @ on german keyboards.
    It's Alt-Q in Windows und you now the key in OS X :(
    And other way round Apfel-L is Alt-L, which is Logout in Lotus Notes=Email.
    But that might not affect you.