Time Capsule not working with apple tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by entropyfl, Mar 16, 2013.

1. entropyfl macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

having a real head scratching moment with a brand new 2TB time capsule.

I have my modem plugged into it and the TC is supplying wireless to all my devices.

They are all working except for Apple TV which crawls along and im having to wait hrs for things to stream.. even home sharing take 10-15 mins to buffer.

what is the correct setting for TC to work with ATV?

I've tried all restarts and restores and even unplugging all other devices to stop interference. i'm getting 3-4 bars signal strength in livingroom but cant imagine that slowing as ipad gets 20 meg in same room.

any other ideas?

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

How big are the files you're trying to stream? How were they encoded? How fast is your connection supposed to be?

It's always best for streaming boxes to be wired, if possible...

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Which ATV? Up to date on firmware?

My ATV2's are wireless to my AirPort Express, and home sharing works great (watch a lot of movies including HD with no issues over wireless).

4. entropyfl thread starter macrumors regular

yep apple tv all up to date and its 3rd gen. files are movies and tv show bought in iTunes. so various sizes from 900 meg to 4 gig.

Whats frustrating is that the cheap supplied wireless router supplied by my ISP works fine on apple tv.. I have that disconnected so its cant be that interfering.

whats really annoying is that apple are saying its ATV problem not TC so they want me to pay for tech support!

any other idea's? I might try to move tv closer to TC to see if its signal strenght thing.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Try stringing an Ethernet cable to the ATV, if the poor performance continues that tells you it's not a wifi issue - it's something in the way that the ATV and iTunes are communicating. If the problem doesn't exist with Ethernet then it's definitely just an issue between the ATV and the TC.

6. entropyfl thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Ended buying a Airport express and that has fixed the problem and The airport express now gives me full signal strength in the living room.

BUT! I also tried it again after unplugging the Airport express and the ATV was WORKING! I tried it a few times and its now working without the Airport express.

how does that happen?

Now I don't know weather to keep the Airport express incase this happens again or just return it and hope ATV stays friends with the TC. without the Express i only get 2-3 bars of wifi signal.