Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I already have a wireless n router by dlink, but I'm probably going to spring for this because not only does it provide nice backup functionality for laptops, but maybe my wireless performance will be better with an Apple router. It sucks that Apple can't just fix their wireless issues that they have with other routers, but my wife and I are sick of waiting.

Live in 3D

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
I ordered my 1TB model 5 min after the store went back online after Steve's keynote and my order still hasn't shipped :(

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
So now we just need to be able to stream A/V files from it direct to the iPhone over the LAN & WAN (Internet) to the iPod.app ;-)

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Now we need to get some results with 2 or more Macs using this device and someone using the Leopard DVD and going ahead an doing a full restore to a clean drive.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

still waiting for my confirmation email, bit this is a great step.

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
The 1TB is fantastic -- I am quite ready to say good-bye to cables and throw my 1TB WD MyBook Studio out.

The only thing that bothers me is that Apple stayed with the dated white plastic theme of the previous gen iMac, Mini, and Apple TV. I wish they would have kept the form factor but updated the look to silver and glossy black to match the MacBook Pros, new iMacs, and Mac Pros and to signal the new Apple design era -- the shiny white plastic trend is just tired at this point.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I already have a wireless n router by dlink, but I'm probably going to spring for this because not only does it provide nice backup functionality for laptops, but maybe my wireless performance will be better with an Apple router. It sucks that Apple can't just fix their wireless issues that they have with other routers, but my wife and I are sick of waiting.
I had a couple of dlinks in different locations and no matter what computer or laptop used the network, they all had problems with the dlinks, got an AEBS and never looked back. I will be picking up a Time Capsule as soon as I can.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
The 1TB is fantastic -- I am quite ready to say good-bye to cables and throw my 1TB WD MyBook Studio out.

The only thing that bothers me is that Apple stayed with the dated white plastic theme of the previous gen iMac, Mini, and Apple TV. I wish they would have kept the form factor but updated the look to silver and glossy black to match the MacBook Pros, new iMacs, and Mac Pros and to signal the new Apple design era -- the shiny white plastic trend is just tired at this point.

I have to agree, but It's still not stopping me from the purchase. I'm excited to see how the 1TB device works.

laprej

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2005
Troy, NY
Jeez...

Mine's been "Prepared for Shipment" for a few days now - I wish they would just give it to FedEx already!

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Ads on the story's page

I've just got to say I loved the ads that are showing up on the page (https://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/28/time-capsule-now-shipping/). The Chitika content matching at work :p

I have a screen snap, but this was the gist of it - "capsules == drugs". And my order says "Prepared for Shipment"...

Night Time Herbs 100 Caps 500 Mg ( Nighttime Herbs
NOW Foods Night Time Herbs (100 Caps, 500 mg)
Nutrition Now PB 8 Acidophilus -- 60 Capsules​

pounce

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2004
absolutely can't wait to get mine. its my birthday present.

i have an airport express now, and was very close to upgrading to an airport extreme and then this was announced. i'm very glad i didn't get the airport extreme since this best fits my current needs. i'm looking forward to it. and to having all the computers in the house running on wireless N for the first time. should be cool.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
i have an airport express now, and was very close to upgrading to an airport extreme and then this was announced. i'm very glad i didn't get the airport extreme since this best fits my current needs. i'm looking forward to it. and to having all the computers in the house running on wireless N for the first time. should be cool.

Right with you. Love the Express, but this promises soooo much more

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
I picked up a 1TB Time Capsule at a Phoenix area Apple store this afternoon (Thursday, 28 Feb). It was the last of the five they received today. I had a similar experience with the MacBook Air several weeks ago. I purchased the last one (from the first shipment) locally from a local Apple store 3 days before my BTO with the same configuration (1.8 & SSD) showed up at home on 6 Feb (it was ordered within ten minutes of the store reopening after Steve Job's presentation).

I would suggest using an ethernet connection for the first system backup. It seems to be faster than wireless. After about an hour on the 100Mbit usb/ethernet connection, the MB Air thinks it has sent about 3.82Gb to the Time Capsule. I configured the time capsule as a secondary unit with another Airport Extreme doing the routing to the cable modem for the other computers that are on line. At this rate, it will take another three hours or so to backup just the OS, iWork and some additional software (about 15.5Gb).

If your system supports Gigabit ethernet, things will go much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.