Time Capsule on its own or with router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danielwerner, Apr 10, 2013.

1. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

Hi,

I want (need) a Time Capsule for backup from my Macbook Pro and my Mac Mini. I don't like plugging an external hdd in every other day so this is the backup solution for me.

The thing is that I already have one of the best (according to tests) Wifi-routers there is, an ASUS N66U. So either I discard that and only use the TC for router, or I connect the TC via ethernet to one of the LAN-ports on my N66U.

Questions:
    • What would you do?
    • Will the TC work better with Apple products in other ways?
    • Will the Wireless Wake on LAN work with an Apple router? I need my Mac Mini to wake up from sleep automatically, when I access it via Screen sharing.
    • Is the TC at least as quiet as the Mac Mini?
    • Any other stuff to think about?

Thanks alot. :)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems like the router you have has two USB ports, why don't you try connecting a USB HD and see if this works!

3. danielwerner thread starter macrumors regular

danielwerner

Yep, tried it and it doesn't work. Also, I've heard that this solution results in the data being more prone to corruptions etc (could be Apple propaganda though).

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, OK.

Answers in bold.

5. danielwerner thread starter macrumors regular

danielwerner

Thanks!

I would like to know if the Wake on LAN function works over Wifi, though. If anyone knows that.

It does not work automatically with the ASUS, I need to go to the web interface and press a "Wake" button. I was hoping it would work more smoothly with an Apple router.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Wake on Lan will never work over WIFI, it is not physically connected.

BUT, I do have a working way, still needed a Lan connection though, I use my Powerbook to control the Mini with ARD, my Powerbook connects to the routers WIFI network, I connect a patch Cable from the router to a Powerline Network Adapter, and then the Mini to the other Powerline Network Adapter, this always wakes up the Mini right from within ARD.