Time Capsule...Or a New iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Noisemaker, May 1, 2011.

1. Noisemaker Guest

I know - no comparison, right? However, it's not that simple.

I currently have a 13" Macbook Pro. I love it, it works great, and I don't really need it upgraded....aside from the storage.

I'm running out of space, and fast. My iTunes Library is huge, and getting bigger every day. I've got about 20GB open from the 250GB hard drive, and have several HD TV Series' waiting to download in iTunes.

Eventually I intend to upgrade to an iMac - likely a 27". They come with a minimum of 1TB for the hard drive, so I'd have plenty of room again, and could transfer directly over from the MacBook. It would also remove the need for me to buy a new TV, as the iMac would be large enough and would function the same as the Apple TV I intended to buy.
    On buying the iMac and transferring my data over, I would sell my MBP. This would essentially even out the cost between the iMac and the Time Capsule, but I'll be down ~$1400 until the MBP sells - which with the current economy might take a bit.

That being said, I could also just get a Time Capsule. It's obviously way cheaper, but at the same time, it would be off-board storage, meaning that my iTunes Library (where nearly all of my data is going) would be an absolute pain to transfer over.

I also know that I could upgrade my MBP's stock hard drive, but I don't have anywhere to back up my 230GB of data.

I'd really appreciate some input on this. I can go either way, and will eventually get an iMac either way. However, with this route it will be sooner rather than later.

What do you guys think?

2. Cole JM macrumors regular

Seems like you already know what you want to do. iMac.

3. Jeremyjt macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd agree. Go with the iMac since you're headed that way anyway. Although with rumors of the iTunes cloud-based service you may not have to worry about storage problems anymore.

4. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

My internet is mediocre, so backing up close to 300GB of data via internet isn't going to work well for me. :p

It's also worth noting that I'd be going with a refurb 27" iMac with a Core i3, rather than one of the refreshed ones in the next week or two.

5. Jeremyjt macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ok I gotcha. So ya go with a Mac. That way you will have the 1tb+ of storage if the cloud storage sucks.

6. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll be going with the iMac. ;)

7. Jeremyjt macrumors newbie

Sweet. Enjoy it. Those 27 inch ones are sick