Time Capsule or AEB + ReadyNAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by almonde, Mar 12, 2012.

1. almonde macrumors regular

I currently have a 5th Gen AEB and a readyNAS duo with 2TB of storage. I use the readynas to backup 3 macs, all running Lion. It generally works OK, but is a pain to fix if it stops backing up or entering time machine etc. Therefore i don't 100% trust it to restore my computer should the worst happen.

Would people recommend i return the AEB (I've only had it 1 week) to the apple store in exchange for a time capsule? How robust is the backup and restore via ethernet with the Time Capsule? Is it USB level of reliability of closer to that of 3rd part NASs?

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

You haven't stated what kind of problems you have with the ReadyNAS, or whether you are running the latest software for it.

I'd personally give Netgear support a call if a problem crops up, and update to the latest software you can.

Your other options are an external USB drive into the AirPort Extreme, or a Time Capsule as you have stated (whichever is cheapest really).

3. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Honestly, I would not trust the time capsule. There have been soo many user that reported failiure, just look on the review on the apple website. The ready-NAS is a good option. Make sure that your most sensible document are on a physical disk, nothing beats DVDs IMHO. You get 100 for 15$=~0.4 Terrabytes.

Just my .02 $ ;)

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I personally use Time Capsules to back up our Macs. They just work flawlessly. I have a 3TB TC dedicated to our 2TB iMac, and a 2TB TC dedicated to our laptops.

We also back up all of our computers to the cloud using Crashplan+.

The TC's give us local (fast) recovery. CP+ gives us disaster recovery. Both are "set and forget" types of backup.

/Jim

5. almonde thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'll stick with the readyNAS and the airport extreme. The reliability reputation of the Time Capsule was a concern. As i backup i'll look for some cloud based storage for things such iPhoto library etc, incase Time Machine backup were to fail.

Thanks again for the advice

6. lamboman macrumors 6502

The reliability issues with the Time Capsule have long gone, that was years ago. They're absolutely fine now.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree this seems to be the case. Given the popularity of the TC... the law of big numbers indicates that even a tiny percentage of failures is still a large number... and of course, those are the examples that are reported.

My biggest problem of attaching a drive to an AEBS is that it is not a supported configuration by Apple. I do not want to be solving issues every time the OS is upgraded. The TC just works.

/Jim

8. almonde thread starter macrumors regular

The 'just works' is something that tempted me towards Time Capsule, but looking at the Apple Discussion boards, the time capsule does seem to be afflicted by similar problems that are also seen by third party solutions. However it is nice to know that you won't encounter the issues similar to that faced users of NAS boxes when OSX moved from SL to Lion.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

People report problems when things break. If TC's are sold 100:1 against NAS boxes, then the optics will incorrectly make it look 100X worse.

Those number are 100% fabricated by me. I do not know the actual numbers, but I believe that TCs are very popular purposes.

/Jim