Time Capsule or AEBS w/ external hardrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jman10135, May 3, 2009.

1. jman10135 macrumors newbie

Hey guys.
    I was wondering something. Which, in your opinion, would be better? Having a Time Capsule or use a AEBS (Apple Extreme Base Station) with an external hardrive attached. I have heard that when doing a backup on the Time Capsule, the speed of the internet slows down a bit or even to a crawl? Does this happen with the AEBS too? Thanks for any comments that would help :).

2. Inked macrumors regular

I use the AEBS and hard drive and it works great, haven't noticed any slowdown during backups.

3. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I've got an AEBS hooked up to two HDDs and a printer. I can be downloading, and streaming a movie from one HDD while backing up on the other.

No noticeable slowdown.

I have a wireless n network at 5GHz. The base station is only like 5 metres away though.

4. jman10135 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol.... that seems to help the speed in most routers lol. Well, i am still open for comments but i am in favor of AEBS so far......

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Can you use a USB hub on the AEBS?

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah u can use a usb hub on the extreme and have several drives or printers hooked up. If you get the AEBS and an external hard drive it would be cheaper and you can have a bigger drive. If you get the TC, it'll be more but you will have 2 in 1 so less things on your desk.

7. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Yup, I use a self powered one cause one of my HDDs is a WD Passport.