Time Capsule or Airport Extreme + 2 USB drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ks-man, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I haven't seen it recently after many people have done firmware updates or after initial Time Machine backups (which I know take forever wirelessly).

I'd like to have two drives, one for time machine and one for storing music and photos. Do people prefer using time capsule and attaching a HD or getting an AEBS and using a USB hub to attach 2 drives (one for TM and one for storage).

I'm leaning towards TC since it would be two less pieces of hardware (hub and 1 extra drive) but if the AEBS works better for this solution I'd go that way.

Thanks for the help.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'd say go for the Time Capsule. You'd get similar prices if you were to price out the hard drives used in the Time Capsule and an AEBS separately. And like you've mentioned, it would be one less piece of hardware to clutter your work area. Another thing worth mentioning is that it seems that Apple is not officially supporting Time Machine over AEBS. Might be a possible debugging option that was left on with the last firmware update according to that article.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Definately Time Capsule, you have an air...you don't want clutter.

Also, there's only a chance that the USB drives are going to be slower, since they are USB over the AEBS then Time Capsule.

4. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Either one of these will likely be in a utility room far away from any of the computers I'll be using but nonetheless, I think you are right that even there it would be better to reduce the clutter.

I didn't know if people were still having problems using Time Capsule or if that was just the initial batch of unfamiliarity with a new product.

5. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I like not having to find so many empty outlets and cluttering up the desk. I am very happy with my TC.