Time Capsule or Airport Extreme + External HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rizzm, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I know threads like this have been made before but I read though them and didn't get the answers I was looking for.

Please advise what I would have to do to get this scenario:

I would like a hard drive that is accessible to everyone on my network (1 Mac and 3 PCs) to share/store important files. I just want the drive to show up on my computer like a flash drive I would plug into a USB. Is this possible and if so which situation would this be?

Which is better to stream/access files from PS3?

Can I password protect folders in either situation?

Also, if I decide to use Time Machine can I only backup certain folders (just iTunes music for example)?

2. Rizzm thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The time capsule is a NAS and you can set up the drive however you want. It can support time machine backups relatively seamlessly if thats what you want.

In my experience, the Time capsule handles drives, both USB external and internal, better than the Airport Extreme. Seems to be an afterthought on the extreme but integrated on the time capsule.

Both are pricey in relation to a synology NAS or equivalent, however.

4. californiak, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

californiak macrumors newbie

I already have APE + external HD and was wondering if I can access the files over the net (NAS). So is there a way to set it up as virtual network if I need to or can I just use the Airport Utility to assign an IP address to the APE so I can use the hard drive as if it was local drive, from my desktop?

Right now it shows with blue icon on the desktop as network drive but only on local network.

Is Time capsule able to be set up that way? So I can access file from anywhere in the world?

thanks

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan