Time Capsule or Airport Extreme, that is the question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oli2140, Dec 29, 2008.

1. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Hi all, I will be purchasing either a Time Capsule or an AEBS in the next few weeks to use as a Gigabit Switch and most importantly for use with Time Machine.

I understand you can use Airport Discs with Time Machine, is this still true? If this is the case then does anybody have any reasons for me NOT to get an airport extreme and a USB Hard drive???

ANY reply will be thanked personally.

Thanks
    Oli

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You might receive better advice/help on the Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion forum. I've never used either, but my impression has always been that both products are overpriced crap. The AirPort Express is the only one I'd consider buying, because the ability to stream music wirelessly to my stereo would be very handy. Otherwise? Just get a $40 wireless router from Linksys or D-Link.

3. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, I meant for this to be posted their, I alerted the mods i wanted it moved about 10 minutes ago!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I edited my post above, so if you missed the edit, go back and read it again. I tempered my derisive comments with a bit of advice.

5. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, the problem is i want to be able to use Time Machine over the network (wired gigabit). I know I can enable normal NASes to be compatible with a Terminal command, just don't know how stable it will be.

Oli