Time Capsule or Airport Extreme + USB drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Palleraa, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Palleraa macrumors member

Hi. Im looking to get rid of my old linksys router and Synology NAS.

So far I have used the NAS with timemachine, but I would like to get rid of it since it is pretty old. I also serves as a printserver for my Brother laser printer.

Will a Airport Extreme with a USB drive work as a timecapsule without the need for any hacks or ? If this is the case, why would you want a time capsule?

Will it be possible to run RAID 1 with two USB-drives on the Airport Express?

/PalleRaa

2. alex1913 macrumors member

alex1913

USB Port

There is no way to use the usb port on the airport extreme base station for a time machine back up, it is the hardware that prevents this you can't hack it

go with the time capsule

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I use a Western Digital My Book drive with my Airport Extreme base station for Time Machine. I've partitioned the drive to keep my Time Machine back-up separate from other portions used for extra storage for me and my husband. Works great. I went for this option over the Time Capsule to easily upgrade the hard drive to get more space (and not pay the premium price tag for a Time Capsule). In fact, we just ordered a new Western Digital drive from Amazon (2TB for $200) to replace the current 500GB drive we're using.

No hacking needed - works great though back-ups can be slow over Wi-Fi compared to a direct USB connection. Since we both have laptops, it's still a much better option than remembering to plug in a drive every time we're at our desks to make sure Time Machine backs up.

Not true of the Airport Extreme base station. Perhaps you're thinking of the Airport Express?

4. Palleraa thread starter macrumors member

Sounds great r6girl. The disk attached to the Airport Extreme would ONLY be used for time machine. Im planning to buy a Mac Mini and attach some serious Western Digital My Book's via FW800 for file sharing and media of which I don't need backup.

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I've got pretty much the same set-up as r6girl, I prefer it over the TC because it is expandable and if my TC drive dies I'm not out a router as well. You do have to initialize the drive via USB first if I recall correctly but it is best to do your initial back-up this way as it can take a while.

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

That's correct - I'd forgotten about this. Palleraa: here are some easy instructions I found doing a quick search on how to set it up the first time. After this, it will run like a dream connected to your Airport Extreme.

7. Palleraa thread starter macrumors member

Got i working. However the part about first attatching the drive to my Mac Book for the initial backup only caused more problems. I ended up formatting the drive on my Mac to Mac OS Journaled. After that I simply attached it to my Extreme station, browsed to the drive using finder and then it appeared in the Time Machine. The initial backup takes a while but I backup up around 25gb in a few hours so it not bad at all.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...not to mention all the TC's that have power supply issues about 18 months after you start using them and they EOL themselves...

9. maghemi macrumors 6502

Airport extreme and hdd is what I'm going to set up for the GF. It will be pretty much for the one laptop only (unless I get one at some stage). The rest of the machines have drives directly attached.

10. pprior macrumors 65816

Huh? I'm doing that right now. Hung a drobo off an AE and using it for time machine backups for imac and MPB in the house. No time capsule necessary.

11. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

I was also planning on going the route of airport extreme plus usb drive instead of the time capsule (the 18 month bench mark scares me). I have 250gb WD that I use to store downloaded media and am looking for a new and bigger hd because I am running out of space. I am wondering if I can somehow wipe the 250gb (after transferring files to new hd) and then use the 250gb as my time machine wirelessly. I am not that technologically savvy. :p So if it will be too difficult then I would rather just use it as a wired time machine. Thanks for any help.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

It would be very easy. Just use Disk Utility to format the drive and connect it to the USB port of the Extreme. Then use AirPort Utility to share the drive over the network and you'll be able to use it as a target disk in Time Machine!

13. rjp macrumors regular

It's true that the USB disk / airport extreme combo does work. I am using it now too. However, I have heard that for some people it works fine for a while, then has sporadic backup failures. I suspect there may be some control signaling that is exchanged between the computer and the TC that is not present in the USB/extreme combo, and perhaps without this signaling, an interrupted backup gets corrupted and is not recoverable. Maybe when lids are closed on macbooks? Don't know for sure. Just guessing.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i see that you have already purchased an Airport Extreme, and i am happy with your decision.

recently, my Time Capsule (TC) suddenly died, after 18months of use. after researching through the Internet i have found literally thousands and thousands of people in the similar situation. the capacitors get fried because there is little airflow within the device, the fact that the PSU is in there does not help one but.

if i had seen this thread on time i would not have recommended you buy either products on their own, as i think they use the same PSUs. the only time i would buy another TC is if i purchased it with a computer and bought the full 3 years warranty with it (you cannot individually buy warranty for the TC).

anyway, goodluck with your AE, i hope it lasts you a very long time :D

as for the backups not working properly with the AE, make sure you always use the same interface (e.g. wired, OR wireless) and make sure you computer never goes to sleep.

it is possible to do that, buy a dual-case that supports RAID1, JBOD or any other format and away you go. this is a hardware RAID, you will not be able to do it with a software RAID.

DoFoT9

15. rjp macrumors regular

A couple of points:

(1) The TC is covered if you have active applecare on any other mac. You do not have to purchase them together, just *use* them together accordeing to the AC agreement.

(2) The PSU is apparently easy to fix if you know how to solder new capacitors in. They cost about 2 dollars.

The catch is, you can't do (1) and (2) because (2) voids your waranty. But unless you do (2) you'll not recover your data...

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

incorrect. you must purchase your TC with another mac (i.e. on the same recipet) that is still covered by warranty.

correct :D i am planning on doing this in a few days time once i find the 2x uF1500 and 1x uF470 capacitors (i think thats what ones they are)

ours isnt covered by warranty so i may aswell.

p.s.if you open the device correctly, there is no way they can tell.

17. rjp macrumors regular

No, I have looked into this one personally, and actually used the coverage for my Airport extreme. You do not have to buy them together. Here is a quote from the applecare coverage agreement. See the last sentence.

(i) Under APP, Apple covers the Covered Equipment and one Apple branded display if purchased at
    the same time and registered with a covered Mac mini, Mac Pro or MacBook Pro, computer. An
    Apple-branded mouse and keyboard are also covered under APP if included with the Covered
    Equipment (or purchased with a Mac mini). An AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort
    Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, an Apple-branded DVI to ADC display adapter, Apple RAM
    modules and MacBook Air SuperDrive are also covered under APP if owned by you and used with
    the Covered Equipment.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes, this means that your computer must be covered by warranty also. none of my computers are covered by warranty (maybe the iMac is but i am fairly certain that it isnt), so its still useless for my household.

apple should recognise this as a problem and have a mass recall. they will have to end up doing it anyway.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok, the iMac is still covered under APP until 2010, but the quote specifically says::
    there is no iMac specified in there. could this be a mistake?!?!

20. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I've had my AEBS (single band) for almost 2 years - no issues. I recently bought a 1gb TC when they lowered the price.

Besides the obvious - the TC has a HD inside, the other difference is the power supply is built into the TC, where the AEBS has an external power brick. I think that might be causing the breaking down issues. :confused:

My setup:
    • Mac Mini (hardwired to AEBS)
    • MBPu (wirelessly connected)
    TC hooked to modem - used for TM backups of both Macs.
    AEBS (extending 5ghz of TC) - with a USB WD MyBook attached

My Mac Mini has Chronosync running for a weekly back up (photos, music, videos & important client files) to the USB WD MyBook.

It might seem like a little overkill, but I think it is worth taking extra precautions with valuable data. :cool:

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes that is the problem. the power supply gets way to hot in that little enclosure and the capacitors end up dying!

nice setup!!

oh yes most definetely, why wouldnt you do it!? you can lose so much.

22. joaoferro37 macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

Attached Files:

23. mrjosh macrumors regular

I think that sentence only applies to a display. The iMac has a display included, so that might be why the it was not included.

Just a guess though.

24. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

The first part of that covers only the computers mentioned because it is about covering the "Covered Equipment" (i.e., the computers mentioned) plus a display if purchased with the Mac. You wouldn't buy one with an iMac because it already has one.

The second part talks about keyboards. They are covered if they come with the equipment (the Mac under warranty).

The third part talks about various Airport and similar devices. They are covered if you own them and they are being used with a piece of "Covered Equipment" (i.e., any Mac under AppleCare).

25. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

THANK YOU! I have been looking to do this for awhile but only now got time, reference, and directions...