Time Capsule or Ext Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChipRivers, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ChipRivers macrumors newbie

I live in a nearly wholey apple household with a number of iPads, iPhones, MacBooks, Apple TV etc.

I currently have an Airport Extreme as my wireless access point and I have been considering upgrading this to a Time Capsule to provide wireless storage and backup capability.

My question is, should I go for the Time Capsule or purchase an external hard drive to connect to my Airport Extreme?

If I go for a hard drive, will this provide the same functionality connected via the Airport Extreme? what type of hard drive should I go for?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have the newest, tower shaped Extreme? If you do just buy whatever USB HDD you find on sale and that will work just fine for Time Machine.

If you have the older, pancake shaped Extreme, it does not support the use of external drives for Time Machine.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

^^ what he said

The older Extremes with one USB drive works well enough for a TM destination, but they are picky about drives and not as "robust" as a Time Capsule. If you have an older extreme, just replace it with a time capsule.

4. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

ugh spac
    I think I might consider a time capsule -may sell 3rd gen extreme and western digital external hdd -time machine has not been reliable enough for past 2 yrs:(

tonights backup has failed again due to not enough space-time machine is not deleting the old backups from this setup at all