Time Capsule or External Hard Drive with ethernet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RoseyE5, Oct 22, 2008.

1. RoseyE5 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MacBook and I love it. I'm slowly getting all my data moved off my old PC. I'd like to get an external hard drive for time machine backups and also for a little extra storage. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the Apple Time capsule or an external hard drive with an Ethernet interface, like this LaCie drive. Will the LaCie drive work with Time Machine over my home wireless network. I know that I'll want to hook it up wired to begin with, but I'm hoping that wireless will be enough for regular backups. I'd also like to use the hard drive as an NAS drive. Any thoughts?

2. goobimama macrumors regular

Apple does not officially support NAS drives. Only Time Capsule, or a wired drive attached to another leopard machine on the network can be used by default. However, there is a hack that allows you to use pretty much anything for Time Machine. I'd suggest you don't play around with your data and go with a proper solution.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Sorry, this is a similar though slightly different question. If I have a Time Capsule plugged into a network by ethernet, can a Mac Pro (without wireless) plugged in with ethernet access the time capsule as an external hard drive?