Time capsule or external harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alwaysaangel, May 21, 2012.

1. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

So I'll be replacing my 2007 MBP once the 2012 ones come out and I'm going to get a new external while I'm at it since my current external HD is only 250GB and it will be pretty useless to have a external HD with less capacity than my new computer.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should splurge and get a 2TB Time Capsule or if it makes more since to spend the same amount and get a 3TB Western Digital External.

I realize that the major difference is the wireless connectivity - so while it would be nice for my computer to automatically connect to the time capsule and back up but I'm not sure it would be absolutely necessary.

My cable box is its own wireless router, so unless the Time Capsule will be a better wireless router I don't really need it for that.

Is there any other reason to get the Time Capsule?

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Time Capsule offers untethered backup when connected to your home network. But you can also do untethered file serving & sharing through it as well.

It also provides simulataneous 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WLAN for improved wireless performance. For the new laptops that could be as much as 450Mbps throughput.

Not certain but I would guess your cable router only does 2.4Ghz.

3. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I have a question about the TC: will I see it in Finder as another hard drive or do I need an iCloud account for that?
    Also wanted to ask about it durability as I've read that it tends to fail after a year or so - are this just rumors or unlucky owners?
    Thanks.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

It shows up in finder as a network share, no iCloud required. If I recall properly it can be access via AFP or SMB (Mac or Windows file sharing) out of the box.

As far as durability I can only attest to my own experience. Mine is 2.5 years old and still running fine. Probably just an unlucky few.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

I've had the latest generation Time Capsule since November and it has been working very well for me. Excellent reception, no overheating, and backup that just works in the background without any fuss. That said, the on-going rumor is that Apple will be updating it with 802.11ac in coming months.

6. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Thanks guys:)
    So I guess I'll be metodically gathering my funds over the next few months, 'cause I need backup for 3 machines and would like wireless storage thus Time Capsule looks perfect. Although I don't need another waiting game for TC as it was/is with the new MBP:)