Time Capsule or Lacie 1TB Ethernet Big Disk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by woodgear, Apr 2, 2008.

1. woodgear macrumors newbie

With most homes having more than 1 computer and the amount of files,MP3, videos. the back-up is becoming more important. I am looking at the Apple TC and other options. I am also looking at Lacie the price point on the Lacie seems better, $279usd compared to Apple TC 499. anybody have comments on either or another options. I want a unit that has ethernet option

2. Adrien Baker macrumors regular

You're getting a lot more with the Time Capsule--it's not just a NAS device. It's a Gigabit/N wireless router/switch with a built in HD and ability to also be a print server. The LaCie is simply a hard drive that you attach to the network.

Adrien

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Personally, I'd rather buy an external HD and an Airport Extreme. It'll work out to be the same, and you don't have 2 devices in one, which just gives you more options if your HD gets full, or you buy 2 separate harddisks, or the wireless malfunctions (covered under warranty, but still).

Also, I'd get to choose my HD if I purchased an external, and I like Seagate harddisks, and don't want a Western Digital (WD) or Maxtor harddisk. On that note, I do own a WD Passport 2.5" portable harddisk, though. (I don't think the reliability of their full sized drives is tied to their portable laptop drives.) Also, I wouldn't buy a Lacie because they just put ANY harddisk in there. They buy brand name HDs, but the actual brand you get in there is whatever is cheapest for them to buy at the time. It could be a Maxtor.

4. chinarider macrumors regular

I have the Lacie 2Big network - Works great, but not with Time Machine (I can't even get it to work with the hacks - Haven't tried the 2-mac method yet tho...)

The only problems I've had turned out to be from my lack of knowledge, not the hardware/software itself (Although Lacie tech support was lackluster)

Sometimes it can get noisy (writing, not the fan, which is quiet)...But it doesnt bother me.

5. chinarider macrumors regular

One more thing....

Where did you get the $279 price? I got mine from Amazon for somewhere around $330.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

7. chinarider macrumors regular

Well, yes, But thats not what we are talking about here.