Time Capsule or LaCie Rugged? Opinions sought

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by makeminemaudlin, Dec 25, 2008.

1. makeminemaudlin macrumors newbie

So, I got a Time Capsule 500GB for Christmas to replace my 250GB LaCie Porsche drive that crashed last month. In that crash, I lost absolutely all my media. The LaCie I had was connected to my Mac Mini via FireWire, and I used it for about 3 years without a problem. My question is, is the Time Capsule too much for my needs? I basically want to extend the capacity of my desktop to accomodate my need for space. But when I got the LaCie I only had a desktop, and now I also own a MacBook Pro, which has only my photographs on it, but none of my music or movies. I'm pretty technologically illiterate, so all the reviews I have read of the Time Capsule kinda go in one ear and out the other. I don't know what 802.11 is or why it's important.

So, is the Time Capsule too much? Could I use it to access my media libraries on both machines on my home network? Or, should I go with a LaCie Rugged drive, or maybe a Passport-type drive that I can move between the two? I don't print from home. I already have a wireless router. What good would keeping the Time Capsule do?

Thanks for your time!

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I have a LaCie 500GB Porsche external that I got last year, and I am very pleased with it. It looks nice and performs well. They (or at least mine) use Samsung drives, so they are of good quality.

802.11 means wireless. With the Time Capsule, it is also a wireless router, so your computers can connect to it wired or wirelessly and directly get or put the data. With the LaCie, you connect it via USB or Firewire to one computer, and if you enable file sharing, other computers on your network can access that drive, but going through that host computer. It will be a bit slower (slower only when accessing it from another computer, not the one it's plugged into), but I would recommend the LaCie for you. It is cheaper, can be used to backup your Mac with Time Machine, and can be shared across your network. However, to share your media, one computer will always need to be plugged in to the drive so other computers can access it. The LaCie cannot be used without a computer physically connected to it, while the Time Capsule can. You can always move the LaCie between the computers also, for faster transfers rather than going through the network.

Good luck!
    Josh

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok i seriously posted a big long post in here.. where is it ahha??

i think you should keep the TC for a few reasons.

1) it is great for backup functions, very effective. im sure you would understand about the losing of data stuff haha.
    2) you can put your itunes/iphoto libraries onto it, so any computer can read/write to it.
    3) you can use it directly as a central storage device, an external hard drive would only (without allowing access) be a local device.

but yea keep the TC.

oh btw 802.11 is a wireless protocol, im guessing you already have wireless so it wont really help you there..the TC is a router though :)

EDIT: in regards to LTX's respoinse, i would NOT recommend LaCie, they are very unreliable IMO. they are slow and annoying to use. the chance of getting a underperforming Maxtor drive is fairly high. its your choice though, ive had a bad experience with them. just thought id share.

4. fpolly macrumors newbie

I just received my new rugged this morning and it is not mounting. I followed the instructions for partitioning but it failed both with FAT and apple options. At present I' very disappointed. I tried to contact Lacie but no answer.
    My impression is that Lacie's quality decreased substantially in the last 12 month. I had a 1TB extreme and a little disk, both died.

5. suburbia macrumors 6502

I own two LaCie external drives, one being the 320GB Rugged, and both have been solid for over two years. It's a shame if the quality of LaCie drives are going downhill.

Any recommendation on another brand that's proven to be solid?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you would have read my previous post you would have seen that i didnt recommend LaCie, their quality has been going down and down for a while now. they are just trying to make more and more money and i think thats the reason why they now suck (or are starting to suck).

brands these days cant really be trusted, because the HD's that they use are never the same. LaCie could be a Seagate one day, and a Maxtor another...

i would recommend purchasing the external case, and internal HD seperately. that way it doesnt limit you to things that are only available in shops, on the interenet etc..