Time Capsule or LaCie Rugged? Opinions sought...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by makeminemaudlin, Dec 25, 2008.

1. makeminemaudlin macrumors newbie

So, I got a Time Capsule 500GB for Christmas to replace my 250GB LaCie Porsche drive that crashed last month. In that crash, I lost absolutely all my media. The LaCie I had was connected to my Mac Mini via FireWire, and I used it for about 3 years without a problem. My question is, is the Time Capsule too much for my needs? I basically want to extend the capacity of my desktop to accomodate my need for space. But when I got the LaCie I only had a desktop, and now I also own a MacBook Pro, which has only my photographs on it, but none of my music or movies. I'm pretty technologically illiterate, so all the reviews I have read of the Time Capsule kinda go in one ear and out the other. I don't know what 802.11 is or why it's important.

So, is the Time Capsule too much? Could I use it to access my media libraries on both machines on my home network? Or, should I go with a LaCie Rugged drive, or maybe a Passport-type drive that I can move between the two? I don't print from home. I already have a wireless router. What good would keeping the Time Capsule do?

Thanks for your time!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok honestly, u think you should keep it, mainly for the reasons below.

1) you have 2 computers, so you should use the TC to back them up.
    2) you can put your itunes library/iphoto library onto the TC and access them from either computer
    3) the rugged isnt thay good IMO.

there are a few more but meh im busy lol.

oh 802.11g/n is wireless! the TC allows you to set up a wireless network, donno if u have one already or not though..