Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Debating between the two, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on which would be a better solution. Thanks.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Debating between the two, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on which would be a better solution. Thanks.

Time Capsule can only put a drive on the network, it's not serving anything really. Mini can do everything and more. I'd say, Mini all the way.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
yep the time capsule is just a wifi hard drive, it has no UPnP and can't be used as a server, at best you could use it as a hard drive and then use a computer to share the media on it for media streaming.

of the 2 the mac mini is the much better option, as it can do all the streaming and more, but it's not your only option, depending on what you need a cheap netbook will likely do it all just as well (esp if you just want an always on music video streaming from itunes to an airport express or ATV, or just plain DLNA to a ps3/xbox), or you can use a NAS device

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I'm using a 2011 Mac Mini as a test bed for EyeTV3 and iTunes. Works great so far and runs cool. It's the $599 CDn price that's the only clincher.

Noek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Well I was originally thinking of just using my MacBook pro and buying like a 2tb external drive, pointing iTunes to the drive and calling it good. I can do the same with the time capsule plus backups which would be nice.

The only problem I have with the mini is the limited storage space :/

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Well I was originally thinking of just using my MacBook pro and buying like a 2tb external drive, pointing iTunes to the drive and calling it good. I can do the same with the time capsule plus backups which would be nice.

The only problem I have with the mini is the limited storage space :/

I would go the external drive route, you can still use the external hard drive as a time machine backup drive at the same time, it would be much cheaper than a time machine which you would have to leave your pro on all the time anyway.

you can always add a 2nd HDD to the mini or use an external drive again, but I'd at least start with using the pro and see how it works out.

Noek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I would go the external drive route, you can still use the external hard drive as a time machine backup drive at the same time, it would be much cheaper than a time machine which you would have to leave your pro on all the time anyway.

you can always add a 2nd HDD to the mini or use an external drive again, but I'd at least start with using the pro and see how it works out.

Will there be any problem as far as speed wise with using an external hd? I am really a beginner but Im hinting at since the capsule is part of the wifii, it just sends the data to the apple tv.....with the extrnal drive, it has to go through the USB to the pro, to the ATV...am I way off here?

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Boston
Also, if you already have a mac mini and buy a time capsule, could you store media on the time capsule and have iTunes on the mac mini (or ATV) stream off of it?

leeds utd fc

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Leeds UK
Will there be any problem as far as speed wise with using an external hd? I am really a beginner but Im hinting at since the capsule is part of the wifii, it just sends the data to the apple tv.....with the extrnal drive, it has to go through the USB to the pro, to the ATV...am I way off here?

I have all my movies on an external hdd, and connected to my iMac, which I stream with no problems to the atv2.

Noek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
This would be the cheapest solution except that my pro would be tied up with a drive attached to it always. Perhaps a dedicated Mac mini with a large external is my best solution.

Thanks for all the tips/advice :)

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
This would be the cheapest solution except that my pro would be tied up with a drive attached to it always. Perhaps a dedicated Mac mini with a large external is my best solution.

Thanks for all the tips/advice :)

is buying a mac mini really worth it though just for itunes streaming, something like a netbook with a large external HDD will do the exact same job just as well, plus a netbook has the keyboard, mouse and display built into it already, assuming you don't have a monitor.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
is buying a mac mini really worth it though just for itunes streaming, something like a netbook with a large external HDD will do the exact same job just as well, plus a netbook has the keyboard, mouse and display built into it already, assuming you don't have a monitor.

Or even install OS X Leopard on an :apple:TV1, attach an external HDD via USB and use that as an iTunes server. There are good tutorials available online, including ready made versions of Leopard exactly for this function, and while not apparently super easy if you're at tech averse, doesn't seem too difficult to set up if you follow the directions. Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge but have read a bit about it recently in these forums and many claim it works just fine, plus it would be a significantly cheaper option than getting a Mini.

Just an idea.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The ATV1 is bog slow when running Leopard according to another thread here.

Yeah, saw that one two but I've also seen other comments that it is actually is quite functional, so I though I'd throw the option out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.