Time Capsule or My Book + Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by freak99, Aug 30, 2010.

1. freak99 macrumors member

I'm trying to decide between:

1. 2TB Time Capsule

and

2. 2TB Western Digital My Book Studio along with an Airport Extreme.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Money is really not an issue. I'm more concerned over functionality and performance (and style :D).

2. maghemi macrumors 6502

I find that my Time Capsule performs better than my old Airport Extreme w/My Book combination did.

The only caveat I put on that is the Time Capsule did get hotter, until I put some feet on the bottom to improve air movement.

Also I found the Time Capsule much easier to set up that the AEBS w/MB setup.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i never recommend TCs anymore due to the fact that their PSUs are still internal - they get very hot and are known for their capacitors failing.

i havent checked the latest revision of both TC and ABES, but the TC has a limiting factor on the internal HDD (reduced copying speeds due to heat limitations) and i always thought the ABES was faster (with the appropriate fast USB hdd plugged in of course).

4. inveresk macrumors newbie

Time capsule reliability in doubt

Make an online search and you'll find tc's pretty regularly go belly up after a couple years. That's about the time mine lasted and when it failed I replaced it with a 2 tb mybook. Time machine still works with the mybook which I've found are quiet and seem to outlast the tc. They're not wireless but hard wiring makes for faster backup.