Time capsule or My passport studio

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hndn, May 18, 2009.

1. hndn macrumors regular

2. johnnj macrumors 6502a

That article is inaccurate in stating that the hard drive in the TC is not replaceable. It is in fact easily replaced.

That said, I sold my (upgraded) TC and now use a local FW800 drive on one machine and SuperDuper over the network to my server on the other.

John

3. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Would you please explain more by "upgrade?"
    I prefer the sleek appearance of TC, wonder why micro center sells it for 223? Of course, FW is always an important option.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I believe the one Micro Center is selling is the previous gen Time Capsule (non-dual band). Check out the model number compared to Apple's current 500GB Time Capsule. Micro Center's is MB276LL/A and Apple's is MB764LL/A

Edit: And by "upgraded", he means he upgraded his TC's internal HDD himself to a larger capacity drive.

Edit 2: Apple's refurbished 500GB TC is the last gen as well. The model number on that one is FB276LL/A (seems they change the model number from MB to FB once it's been refurbished).

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I didn't look at your link but I'd guess that's the older model TC with out the sim dual band router built into it that the new models have...

6. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

on edit 1: this's new & cool to know, do you have a link where to search for this HDD?
    on edit 2: then apple's refurbished is the same model as micro center = previous generation???
    Thanks, I'm addicted to apple design :)

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Any 3.5" SATA HDD will work. You can look up instructions on google with a bit of searching, and any major electronics dealer will have them in stock. Check out newegg.com for example. I've heard of people going with the WD Green HDD due to its power saving features and cooler running temperatures. There's really no point in going with a high performance HDD since there will be a bottleneck for the speed at the router itself, though you may opt for the largest capacity drive if you need the space.

As for the second point, yes.

8. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Right. By "upgrade" I meant I installed a larger hard drive.

I did indeed install a 1TB WD "green" drive. There was a noticeable difference in thermal output compared to the stock drive.

Replacing the drive isn't rocket science. It's basically 4 torx screws and then the philips head screws that hold the drive itself in. There are numerous guides out on the intarwebZ. The "hardest" part is peeling the rubber off of the bottom.

I ended up selling my TC because I screw around with my systems a lot and I needed faster restore times. A friend of mine bought it at a significant loss to myself and she's quite happy with it.

John

9. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guys, for quick responses.
    Well, for the price different, is dual band really necessary? Both are wireless N. I just need for backup & storage.

10. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

I bought a WD 500gb Passport for Mac in the apple store most recently, and I regret not getting the firewire. Instead I went for USB 2.0, which annoys me tons when I am moving files / backing up.

If you have the money, go for the faster one!

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you have both b/g and n devices connecting to your network at the same time, you'll probably want the dual band one. If you only have wireless n devices, you can do with the previous version.

12. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Attached Files:

13. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

That I believe, is the 1TB one, and I got the 500GB one.
    No complains, except a little bit slow...
    But because I am on the road quite often, I didnt wanted to get one that needed powahsource :)

The one you are linking, I know, is really good!
    Firewire connection, which can go darn fast. One of my good friends has the same model. Again no complains, and he uses it for backups and storage.
    Partitioning might be a good idea though!

Shoots, and gl

B07

14. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered it, $155.
    Thank you all for the inputs :)