Time capsule or other hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac'nCheese, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I will be buying a new imac soon. I currently have the old fashioned, round airport which works fine. I'll need a new back up hard drive to do backups. Question: do people recommend the expensive time capsule for backups and for faster internet? Or is my old airport just fine and I should buy a cheaper hard drive for backups?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You won't get faster internet as you are probably limited by the speed of your provider. The Time Capsule is not without issues, particularly heat-related. I would just by a USB external for your iMac.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use a Time Capsule, but only because we use laptops. It's really pretty slow and can be very frustrating if you need to deal with full backup or restores (like I am now after having my internal hard drive replaced). If I had desktop Macs instead I would using directly attached hard drives. I also do SuperDuper backups to two rotating portable drives for offsite backup.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I also use a TC (2TB) for our Macs. I am backing up a 2TB i7 iMac, 15" MBP, and a MBA. It is working for us now (about 1TB used)... but would be a problem if I really filled up the 2TB iMac.

The iMac is wired (1Gb ethernet), and the two laptops are connected via wireless. I made the initial backups using a wired connection to the laptops, and the incremental backups have been using wireless. Doing this, the speed has not been a problem.

/Jim