Time Capsule or something else?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Meever, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on making my router upgrade. I still have one of the old barebone wireless g routers that I picked up when they first came out, so I think it's time for an upgrade.

I figured since I'm already investing in a decent router ( wireless n, dual band) I figure I might as well pick something up with internal network storage solution integrated. I have looked at some other routers with built in USB ports but I don't like the idea of having my hard drive plugged in 24/7 without any kind of heat displacing solution. I've also seen a few with built in hard drives but they seem very expensive.

I was just going to pick up an older Time Capsule (500g for little under $200) and upgrade the hard drive myself to 1tb+ after the warranty expires.

Would that be wise, or is there a viable alternate solution.

Could a get a better dual band wireless n router with network storage for similar price?

Thanks for your help guys.

2. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Get a Time Capsule. It works with Time Machine seamlessly and it's one of the best routers on the market. I always get frustrated with other routers and their specialized configurations. Great time to buy now that Apple has lowered the price!

3. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

I second that

I just purchased my TC and hooked up late last week. So far the results have been fantastic. Noticeably faster internet on my notebook, and my Xbox which is hooked directly into the router has been noticeably faster as well.

The time machine functionality is awesome, seamless backup, and it doesn't drag my network down.

I picked up the 1TB on Amazon for about $280. Definitely comes recommended.