Time Capsule Or WD Passports ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rm2092, Apr 18, 2008.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Not sure witch one to get the Time Capsule Or the WD Passport ? For now Im just looking to back up all my photos and all my downloads from Itunes music and videos I had purchesed there and some documents. If I had bought the WD would I latter regret not getting Time Capsule is there so much more I would be missing out on if I had past it up and went with the WD ? Thanks......

2. ajmccoll macrumors newbie

I have a WD, and it does the job. The only thing I don't like about it right now is having to hook it into the firewire port. Right now, I'm working on a short film, and transferring a lot of video..so the hard drive has been unplugged for a few weeks now. Time Capsule (I believe) is wireless as far as transferring/backing up goes, so if you need your firewire port for something (like video transfer) then perhaps you should get a Time Capsule.

Otherwise, I'd go with the WD. I got a 500GB HD for around $140. Much cheaper compared to Time Capsule.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Comparing a wi-fi router with ability to store data and a regular external HD isnt fair :rolleyes:

4. hayden21 macrumors member

I would say go with the WD Passport I just bought one at Best Buy this past week and it really was an amazing product. They have it on sale this week for 150 for the 320 and I think 120 for the 250GB, thats even cheaper than Newegg for the same drive. So I think for the portability and price its a great option!

Now if you want to back up files I would probably say getting the Time Capsule is a better, please someone correct me if I am wrong but the Time Capsule was designed with Time Machine in mind. Though depending on the amount of data you can buy another WD Passport and it works great with Time Machine and in fact the first time I plugged it in, it asked if I wanted to back up my data.