Time Capsule & Other Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ankit69, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Ankit69 macrumors member

I just got the time capsule on black friday... finally got a chance to install it today, the only disappointment i have is that it only has 3 ethernet ports. The old router i had was a netgear wgr617 had 4 ports. My question is is it possible to hook up the old netgear and use it as a hub with time capsule... does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

2. descartes macrumors 6502

you can run the netgear and tc at the same time. I have the tc set for n only and another router for iphone use and guests. If you just wnat to run the netgear as a hub, give it a shot and see what happens. There are also ethernet hubs out there

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I have my cable modem connected to a Linksys RVS4000 and then going to my TC. have my printer and a office computer hooked to Linksys and macs hooked to TC and all work great.

So yes, you an put a Netgear router in front of the TC.

Or, you can just use the TC and buy a 5 port switch to go from TC to switch and then to your stuff...

4. Ankit69 thread starter macrumors member

really, and they dont interfere at all right? how do you set the tc for "n" only... i figured since i already have the hardware why waste money buying a new ethernet hub....

5. Ankit69 thread starter macrumors member

is there any difference in speed as far as the tc and other routers are concerned when its hooked up via ETHERNET and not wifi. I only have one mac and this is the only thing that can use "n" technology. One last question, what is faster macbook connected via ethernet or wifi using n?

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Couldn't tell you, sorry, not that into trying to figure out different speeds. I like things hooked up ethernet. That's just my own thing, more stable in my opinion and consistent. I did find that when I bought my TC the range wasn't that great. My wife uses her MB in the living room which is about 40' and a few walls away from the TC and I had to go and get an Airport Express to increase the range. Then I was having issues with her Time Machine back ups so I ran an ethernet line in the attic to her MB in the living room. Mucho better now. :D

7. coopermac macrumors member

Ethernet is much faster than wifi even if it is totaly "n". If you mix "g" devices with "n" on the same network at the same time then they will all run at "g" speed.

8. Ankit69 thread starter macrumors member

is there anyway to tell if a device is getting "g" speed... im on the macbook which is g capable obviously and the router is just about 3 feet away just wanted to know if its possible to check....

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you laptop is G only, your whole network will be G at most.