Time Capsule Out of Space

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by malificent, Feb 6, 2014.

1. malificent macrumors newbie

I am trying to back up my iMac 10.7.5 with the Time Capsule we've been using for ages. I get this error message:

This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 755.82 GB but only 435.88 GB are available.

Time Machine needs work space on the backup disk, in addition to the space required to store backups. Open Time Machine preferences to select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files.

A few months ago we had a new hard drive put in and did a complete reinstall from this time capsule. After that, it started to get buggy.

I made a complete backup through Time Machine onto a new external drive yesterday. Should I just empty the Time Capsule and start fresh on it? The last update was in May, 2013. If so, how do I empty it? If not, what are my other options?

2. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

You can empty it using Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility). If you want to preserve your backups before you do that, I think you can move the backup folder to another drive if you have one. It has been awhile since I owned a time capsule but I believe a factory reset is also an option. Someone else might be able to speak to that.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... I would just erase the TC disk and start over.

Just start Airport Utility and go to this screen and click erase disk and you will be in good shape.

[​IMG]

4. malificent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I'll give it a try…after backing up of course.