Time Capsule Owners - Network/Internet Performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spliff, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Spliff macrumors regular

I just bought a Time Capsule to store my data, and subsequently replaced my Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GS (Wireless G), and am finding that there is a slowdown with loading websites on my Macbook.

Is this common with Time Capsules and internet access? I saw some benchmark reports that mentioned that network speed was slow (i.e. computer to computer), however I didn't think the internet speeds would be this crappy.

Can anyone vouch whether they have the same issue? I may need to return this thing and get a network hard drive.

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I wish I could help. All I know is my TC has been pretty good in all aspects. Maybe changing the channel on it? I live in a condominium complex and almost everyone has wireless, but rarely do I have any problems. My TC is pretty fast and I have compared it with many of my friends routers (they have n tech also on them). If no one can help you out on here I would suggest you use the discussion forums on apple.com or just call Apple to see if they can help you out. Sorry I couldn't help you out anymore.

3. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

So far my experience with TC is that it's crap. I will close my Macbook, walk away for half an hour and then open it back up and it can't find my secured WPA network that I setup. I'm no networking guru but I can setup a simple secure network, and haven't had this problem since Leopard was first released. I even turned airport on/off on Macbook but still can't find the network. Really really stupid so far, I hope it's something I'm doing instead of it being a hardware problem or back to the store it goes.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I had a little problem after installing the latest OS X update. After I installed it, I put my Mac to sleep. I came back and it failed to find my TC. I just reset my TC (you hold down the reset button on back of the TC for 5 secs until it blinks amber color) and then you go into Airport Utility and set it up again (takes about a minute). That has only happened to me once in 6 months and like I said only after the upgrade in OS X. No big deal and I haven't had a problem since (not really a problem). If you just installed the new update you might of experienced that, but I don't think that was TC's fault. Maybe a reset will help you. Can't hurt and it doesn't erase anything on the internal HD. The new update also made the TC more responsive in some aspects. The backups seems to be much faster (they were quick before).

I hope you work it out. TC is a good device IMO.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I haven't had any problems with my TC, purchased in May (knock on wood).

6. masteroflondon macrumors regular

I recently started using my Time Capsule as an internet router. Prior to that I used my Linksys AG241 for internet and the Time Capsule was just taking care of the backups. Then I wanted to use Back To My Mac, which the AG241 would not do reliably. So I relegated the AG241 to being just a modem and set the Time Capsule up as router.

According to speedtest.org I have had a consistent, albeit very slight indeed, increase in performance. The performance has remained constant, also, where the AG241 required occasional reboots to to restore speed which degraded over time.

I am not currently using the wired switch aspect of the Time Capsule, although I was before and found that fine. It is also a wireless access point, which is also fine. The PowerBook connects without issue, as do the iPhones.

So my experience is that the Time Capsule is better than my Linksys and routes internet, wifi and handles Time Machine backups perfectly, including wirelessly in the case of the Powerbook.

Hope that helps!

7. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, your comments do help alot.

I'll give TC a reset once I get home from work today. I woke up this morning, opened up my MBP and again couldn't find the network. I had to manually enter the SSID and PW to connect, which is unacceptable. I hope that this reset will fix things, because after I initially setup TC, I did actually upgrade to the latest OSX version AFTERWARDS so this might be a problem.

I'm happy to hear the positive testimonials for TC, as it is exactly what I need. I didn't really want to go out any purchase a network HDD (although it would have been more storage for about the same price), but I have enough clutter and would rather have one device for storage/router.

8. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

What your describing with the macbook is the same thing that happens to my wifes macbook. I dont think its an issue with the TC, I think its a software issue within leopard itself. 10.5.5 has fixed my wifes issue so far(knock on wood) and it has stopped doing this. What version of leopard are you running?

9. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

This problem first started occurring when Leopard was first released (10.5) however the subsequent fixes and releases have fixed this problem and haven't experienced this for around 6 months now (with my Linksys Router). Now that I've switched to TC, this problem is happening again. I will reset my TC tonight to see if this solves any problems, and if it doesn't then this badboy will be going back!

10. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

Okay I reset my TC last night and re-input all the network information again and seems like everything is working well. Let's hope it lasts!

Thanks for the info guys.

11. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

Grrr I just reset my TC again. Tonight I was sitting here on my MBP surfing, and all the sudden pages stopped loading, and I see my wireless icon in Leopard losing bars and then losing connectivity altogether. I then try manually scanning for my SSID and my MBP could not find my network anymore.

I just did another reset with my TC, but this will be the last time. If I encounter anymore of these stupid yet simple wireless problems, back to the store this so far piece of crap is going. I am so suprised a Linksys router can communicate with a MBP w/OSX better than Airport Extreme.

12. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

I've had it with this piece of junk! I'm taking this thing back this weekend, it keeps losing my network connectivity and I have to manually enter in my SSID almost every time. Very unacceptable and totally frustrating.

I can't believe others with MBPs don't have this problem??

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Sorry you having having trouble with it. Like I said before, it has been great for me and the 3 friends I know who has it.