Time Capsule - partition question revisited

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bjwang, Dec 11, 2010.

1. bjwang macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have a MBP and a 1GB Time Capsule that I've been using happily over the past year. It currently has about 500GB remaining after storing my backups for the past 12 months.

My question is, is it possible to carve out or partition some space, say 200GB, that I can use as a wireless external hard drive to store media, while still keeping my old backups and leaving the remaining 800GB for old and future backups?

I found a previous thread but am not sure if it requires you to do this when you first set up the TC, or if I can do it now and keep my old backups (without reformatting the TC):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5088398&postcount=22

Thanks in advance for the help,
    BW

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

From what I can gather from the post you provided, you'd be making a 200GB image on the Time Capsule and using that as the storage drive, correct? If that's the case, there should be no reason why you couldn't do it now without deleting anything. You don't need to format your drive but you do need enough space for the image. And since you said you had 500GB free, that's plenty of room to create that 200GB image. Once it's created, Time Machine should go on happily using the (reduced) space until it is used up, then start deleting older backups.

3. bjwang thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Skorpien,
    Thanks for the help, it worked as described. Took a couple of tries to configure it and the writing of the disk image took over 15 hrs, but now I have a separate external wireless hard drive that I can read and write to.
    Thanks,
    BW

4. KapitanIksrog, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I won a Macbook Air at work which I want to give to my wife for xmas as she loves iPhoto but I hate when she touches my macbook pro. It is a 11 inch 64GB version (and I understand you can't upgrade the SSD) and her iPhoto library is huge. Would I be able to partition my 1 TB time capsule into 250 mb drive and 750 mb for backups and store her iPhoto library on the 250mb portion? Obviously it wouldn't be available when not at home but it seems like a good solution?

*EDIT*

Better yet... Could I attach a 320GB USB drive to the time capsule and just format that drive for the same purpose while leaving the time capsule alone?