Time Capsule Partition Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Volkswagen04, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Volkswagen04 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have had a 500GB time capsule for over a year (no warranty). My hard drive crashed on my time capsule and I got a 3TB HD for around $100 dollars. I already I have Time Capsule in pieces and I need to format my new hard drive so that it has the 2 small, hidden partitions and obviously the main one. I was wondering if there was a write-up on how to partition for the two smaller ones (I am guessing that they are needed for the software to work)?

Thanks in advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think you can just put in the new one and properly format it through Airport Utility.

3. Volkswagen04 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see an option to erase the disk but I don't know that if that partitions it with those hidden partitions.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

This question was popular when the time capsule first came out. I seem to recall the answer was to partition the drive before installation, hooked directly to the Mac.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Erase disk would be the option that would correctly repartition the drive.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I found this older walkthru and they say they just popped the disk in straight from the package and the TC formatted the disk all on its own. I don't think you need to do anything before installation. That is what I recall from old forum posts here also.