time Capsule port conflict

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dashley, Mar 9, 2010.

1. dashley macrumors newbie

it seems that both Time Capsule and Leopard Server both use port 548 for file sharing. So if I have both the server and Time Capsule with File Sharing turned on, any attempt to login will go to the Time Capsule and not to the server.

If I turn File Sharing OFF in Time Capsule, I can than map port 548 to the IP of the server machine and users can properly login into the server again.

However, turning File Sharing OFF disables both the internal and external USB drive connected to the Time Capsule from appearing on the network, so Time Machine won't work, since it can't see the Time Capsule drives.

I am wondering if it's possible to change to port numbers on the Server or on the Time Capsule, so that they don't interfere with each other.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

port numbers are a part of the address to a particular service - the IP address and the port number are used together to specify a service on a particular computer/device, etc.
    The port number alone can't do what you've said. So, time to do some comparison of IP addresses. Is it possible that you have two overlapping subnets because you allow both Leopard Server AND TC to give out IP addresses (DHCP)?

3. dashley thread starter macrumors newbie

I have on the server a folder shared that i use to share files with my friend out of state. He connect to it by putting in the ip in and logging in. On the airport i have the i think 548 port open that points to the internal ip of the server. the problem is that TC uses that same port to broadcast its self so if if i have TC on and he tries to log in it ask to join the TC not the server. i think i found a work around by plugin an hd in to the server and using time machine over the lan network and doing wireless backups that way but i dont know it i trust it and want to find away to host the server and run TC at the same time without conflict