Time Capsule Printing via ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amaralx2, May 16, 2008.

1. amaralx2 macrumors newbie

i just purchased the 1TB Time Capsule and am using it to replace my older Linksys Wireless Router. I am a small commercial print shop and these printers are a vital part of my day to day operations. (Xerox DocuColor250 / Konica Minolta bizhub PRO 1050 / HP Laserjet 5100TN).

They all run via Ethernet cable. On the old Network no problems, but with the TC the printers don't work via ethernet.

Apple has no official support, so you guys are my only hope. Please help!

How can I get my printers to work via Ethernet through TC?

Mike
    oakhillprinting.com

2. paduck macrumors 6502

My first guess would be some sort of firewall issue with packets not being passed. What sort of security do you have enabled on the TC?

Do the printers grab an Ethernet address from the TC? If they do, then it must be an issue with the sort of packets they are sending not being passed around the network. If the printers don't connect to the router, then you might want to start looking at other things?

3. amaralx2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice heads up Paduck.... it was as simple as just changing the DHCP beginning address to a 192.168 Once I did that, it was 10 packets for tries.

Thanks a bunch! If you ever need some business cards... look me up... first set is on the house!

Mike
    oakhillprinting.com

4. amaralx2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I jumped the gun earlier.... I still can not print via Ethernet.

It is able to ping to the IP address but not print. Any ideas?? As far as Apple says the Ports do not have a firewall.

Mike

5. paduck macrumors 6502

Do you still have the old Netgear? If so, you could run the Netgear off the TC. Put the TC into 802.11n exclusive mode at 5GHz and get a real speed boost on wireless. Then have the Netgear service 802.11g/b plus the ethernet connection to the printers. Make sure you plug the ethernet from one of the LAN ports on the TC into the WAN port on the Netgear. That would at least help with the troubleshooting.

Have you tried the printers one at a time in separate ports? Are the printers setup for DHCP or do they have static IP numbers? How many connections is the TC prepared to support? Until you get everything working, I would recommend turning off encryption/security (well, at least have no security while you are troubleshooting, you should keep your security on your enterprise system). Once everything works, then add the security layer and put it onto your enterprise network.

If the Netgear is dead, you could also do this with an inexpensive 4-port wireless router. Still, TC should be able to do everything for you. Have you looked in the LAN settings to make sure there is nothing special set there? I have to go and look at my Airport Utility menu sometime....

6. paduck macrumors 6502

Mike - Make sure you have deleted and re-added the printers from scratch on your Mac. The old connections on the Mac probably won't work on the new network. That might be part of the problem as well. Especially if the printers are now identified and pinging back on the network. If data is passing, then the next culprit is the printer configuration on the Mac. In other words, the Mac might be trying to print to the old network configuration, not the new one.