Time Capsule Problem Solving / Heat Fix mod

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
alot of you seem to be having a ton of problems with your time capsules, which are mostly heat related / power filter problems (stemming from heat issues).

so here is a simple (not pretty....its my first go and i dont like making things look good :p) mod that can cool that sucker down substantially :D

Attachments

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
so all i did was disassemble , drill holes in both intake and outtakes of the fan to allow for cooling , i cut the rubber out of the base to allow the air to flow int and out of the capsule,

overall result , not even warm to touch :D

Attachments

Comment

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Nice mod. Like seeing modification pictures. I'm planning to do this aswell as upgrade the 500GB HD to 1TB when my refurb capsule comes this week. With all due respect, I might make the mod slightly more aesthetically pleasing... Good work anyway. Is it still running ok?

Comment

VerifyMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
alot of you seem to be having a ton of problems with your time capsules, which are mostly heat related / power filter problems (stemming from heat issues).

so here is a simple (not pretty....its my first go and i dont like making things look good :p) mod that can cool that sucker down substantially :D
I had the same heat related issues and decided to remove the rubber mat on the bottom of the unit altogether. I just bought a set of white rubber stick-on feet from my local hardware store and placed it on the four corners, raising it another 5mm, and got even better ventilation under the unit. No drilling required and if I ever want to sell it, I can just peel off the rubber feet and reattach the rubber mat with some double stick tape.

I do appreciate your no nonsense approach to cooling. ;)

Comment

immelak

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Yes i just upgraded my 500gb to a 3tb because of a problem with the HD. Im not sure if the problem was heat related but i decided to remove the rubber mat and put the time capsule on a laptop chill mat. This keeps the air flow a lot cooler.

I had the same heat related issues and decided to remove the rubber mat on the bottom of the unit altogether. I just bought a set of white rubber stick-on feet from my local hardware store and placed it on the four corners, raising it another 5mm, and got even better ventilation under the unit. No drilling required and if I ever want to sell it, I can just peel off the rubber feet and reattach the rubber mat with some double stick tape.

I do appreciate your no nonsense approach to cooling. ;)

Attachments

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.