Time Capsule Problem Solving / Heat Fix mod

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacModMachine, Nov 28, 2009.

1. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

alot of you seem to be having a ton of problems with your time capsules, which are mostly heat related / power filter problems (stemming from heat issues).

so here is a simple (not pretty....its my first go and i dont like making things look good :p) mod that can cool that sucker down substantially :D

Attached Files:

2. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

so all i did was disassemble , drill holes in both intake and outtakes of the fan to allow for cooling , i cut the rubber out of the base to allow the air to flow int and out of the capsule,

overall result , not even warm to touch :D

Attached Files:

3. 2927002538 macrumors newbie

Nice mod. Like seeing modification pictures. I'm planning to do this aswell as upgrade the 500GB HD to 1TB when my refurb capsule comes this week. With all due respect, I might make the mod slightly more aesthetically pleasing... Good work anyway. Is it still running ok?

4. VerifyMe macrumors newbie

I had the same heat related issues and decided to remove the rubber mat on the bottom of the unit altogether. I just bought a set of white rubber stick-on feet from my local hardware store and placed it on the four corners, raising it another 5mm, and got even better ventilation under the unit. No drilling required and if I ever want to sell it, I can just peel off the rubber feet and reattach the rubber mat with some double stick tape.

I do appreciate your no nonsense approach to cooling. ;)

5. immelak macrumors newbie

Yes i just upgraded my 500gb to a 3tb because of a problem with the HD. Im not sure if the problem was heat related but i decided to remove the rubber mat and put the time capsule on a laptop chill mat. This keeps the air flow a lot cooler.

Attached Files: