Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoogieWoogie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Need help with my time capsule set up. everything is fine until i give it a wireless password and restart it, it "disappears" from Airport Utility. I then need to reset it.

akchang

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
When you first set the TC are you connected to it wirelessly or through an ethernet cable?

DoogieWoogie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I first set it up through the ethernet and then I turned it to wireless. Wireless works as long as I do not put a password on it, which isn't a good idea. As soon as I give it a password and I press update on airport utility it disappears from the menu and doesn't reappear.

akchang

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
When you reset it, are you doing a hard reset? You can always leave it connected with the ethernet until you get the wireless connected. Just so you can test it.

Which password security are you using? I'm using WPA2 personal

DoogieWoogie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I've solved the problem, sort of. i did have the TC connected to my airport express, i.e. "it was joined to a wireless network" (this way round didn't work) but it is now connected as "create a wireless network". it isn't ideal because i now have to locate the TC in place where i didn't want it but i suppose it will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.