Time Capsule Problems For A Beginner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by northernsole, Apr 6, 2009.

1. northernsole macrumors newbie

So I finally unwrapped my new TC yesterday 2 weeks after getting my 1st ever iMac. Thinking it would be as easy as Lindsay Lohan to set up, I plugged it into the power and off I went. Unfortunately I think I'm encountering problems of the hair-tearing variety. I can set the TC up but when it comes to restart and rescan for the TC it can't be found and the orange light flashes. Am I right or wrong in thinking that the only cord I need for this is the power cord? Or does it need to be connected to my home broadband box? I'm afraid I'm not hugely technical so any help would be very gratefully received!!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The orange light comes on when the TC detects a problem. The simplest way to find what's wrong and fix it is to use the AirPort Utility software that came on the CD with the TC. Install that first, if you haven't already, then run it.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ok, you may have a defective TC (it happens in electronics, just return and get an exchange) but try this first: (Forgive me if this is simplistic) I also don't have a timecapsule so I'm guessing on this (I hope it helps!)

-Do you have a wireless router in your house? If not, you will need to plug the time capsule in to your router. Or you may need a router if you don't already have one.

-If you do have a wireless router, is there security enabled? If so maybe your timecapsule needs your WEP or WPA key.

-Can you connect to your Timecapsule at all?

4. karupspc macrumors member

Re

You'll need to plug your iMac directly into the TC (i.e. use an ethernet cable into one of the 3 ports) then use your finder type in AirPort Utility

If the Airport Utility doesn't find your TC then reset and start over. The orange light means you might have configured something incorrectly. I don't know how you configured your TC to tell you what's wrong with it.