Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richey Villa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I am considering purchasing a 1TB Time Capsule for my new mac. But I have read on the net that older models brought in 2008/2009 have had problems and have being dying after 18 months. Have Apple sorted out the design fault with the TC? Or shall I just buy a normal external hard drive and just connect that to my network?

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
As I understand it, the TCs you refer to ran very hot, leading to failure of the power supply or the hard drive. I bought a 1TB TC last November, and I can say that it is only warm to the touch. The main thing is to ensure it has good air circulation. It's probably overkill, but I have mine slightly elevated, sitting on a Magic Trackpad box, which is perfect for allowing circulation for the base.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Purchased one last week, came yesterday. Been on for a good 20 hours, and it's just warm. It's fine and worth getting, easy easy back up.

ksbillsfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
I bought mine in June 2009 and it is now giving me problems. Hasn't even lasted two years. Kind of pissed that an item I paid $300 for hasn't even lasted two years.

Problem I am having is it becomes unresponsive. The wifi part works fine. But I can't access the hard drive or any device attached through USB. I can't even access the configuration file through Air Port Utility. I can be in the middle of updating files on the external hard drive that is attached through the USB and it will just stop working. I have to re-start by power cycling the TC and even then it sometimes won't work.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
I would recommend going the airport extreme + external hd (of your choice) route.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Problem I am having is it becomes unresponsive.

This definitely sounds like the "usual" failure mode. The power supply becomes flaky and the device becomes unstable. In my case it started getting really slow shortly before (~2 weeks) before it died altogether.

Hopefully the reports on the front page are correct and a new, lower power consumption one is just around the corner...

B

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
I have had mine for little over a year, no problems so far. It does run hot though, mine is sitting on top of an older CPU that I dont use anymore.

You could also do an Airport Extreme + NAS setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.