Time Capsule problems resolved???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Richey Villa, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Richey Villa macrumors newbie

I am considering purchasing a 1TB Time Capsule for my new mac. But I have read on the net that older models brought in 2008/2009 have had problems and have being dying after 18 months. Have Apple sorted out the design fault with the TC? Or shall I just buy a normal external hard drive and just connect that to my network?

2. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

3. drambuie macrumors 6502a

As I understand it, the TCs you refer to ran very hot, leading to failure of the power supply or the hard drive. I bought a 1TB TC last November, and I can say that it is only warm to the touch. The main thing is to ensure it has good air circulation. It's probably overkill, but I have mine slightly elevated, sitting on a Magic Trackpad box, which is perfect for allowing circulation for the base.

4. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Purchased one last week, came yesterday. Been on for a good 20 hours, and it's just warm. It's fine and worth getting, easy easy back up.

5. ksbillsfan macrumors newbie

I bought mine in June 2009 and it is now giving me problems. Hasn't even lasted two years. Kind of pissed that an item I paid $300 for hasn't even lasted two years.

Problem I am having is it becomes unresponsive. The wifi part works fine. But I can't access the hard drive or any device attached through USB. I can't even access the configuration file through Air Port Utility. I can be in the middle of updating files on the external hard drive that is attached through the USB and it will just stop working. I have to re-start by power cycling the TC and even then it sometimes won't work.

6. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I would recommend going the airport extreme + external hd (of your choice) route.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This definitely sounds like the "usual" failure mode. The power supply becomes flaky and the device becomes unstable. In my case it started getting really slow shortly before (~2 weeks) before it died altogether.

Hopefully the reports on the front page are correct and a new, lower power consumption one is just around the corner...

B

8. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I have had mine for little over a year, no problems so far. It does run hot though, mine is sitting on top of an older CPU that I dont use anymore.

You could also do an Airport Extreme + NAS setup.