Time Capsule Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hitch08, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

I have an older Time Capsule. I think that it is about 8 years old. It is connected to a new Airport Extreme in extender mode (at least, I think that is what it is called when you use a second unit to extend the first - with the same SSID and passwords). I installed the Airport Extreme back in December and didn't have any problems for the first few months.

For about the last 2 months, I am losing connection with the TC. I notice this when my MPB cannot run backups - it can't find the TC hard drive. The only way I am able to fix it is by unplugging the TC and then plugging it in again. I have to do that 1 to 2 times per week. The software for the TC is up to date.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm wondering if it is time to say thanks to the TC for time served and buy a new one.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Before getting a new one, try downgrading the firmware on the Time Capsule only to 7.6.1.

3. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Can you connect both (TC + AE) with an Ethernet cable? Then use the AE to create a WIFI network like described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260
    That will increase your reliability.

4. Hitch08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice!

I started to question how old the TC was, so I called Apple. I was WAY off on my recollection. It's only 3 years old. The guy at Apple asked what was happening and made the same suggestion. Indeed, he sent me the link to the exact same article.

I was using my iPad (so the configuration software looks very different), but I confirmed that I have it set up that way. In other words, I made sure that the SSID, Security type and Password were all the same. It is connected via ethernet.

The only thing I noticed is that the wireless channels are the same for one frequency and different for another. I didn't see anything indicating that would/could be an issue.

I didn't have much time to work on it last night. Tonight, I'll roll back the firmware per Altemose's advice and see if that fixes it.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I find that for almost all purposes that 7.6.1 is the most stable firmware on some configurations.

6. Hitch08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Last night I rolled the firmware on the TC back to 7.6.1. Should know within a week whether it made a difference. I'll post here whether it worked and maybe it'll help some others who end up with the same issue.

Thanks again!

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Definitely report back. Hope it helps.

8. Hitch08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I am back to report that the TC was still not functioning correctly. My MBP continued to struggle with finding the TC HD. I have a Synology, so I ended up just switching the back up duties to that device.

Thanks to all for the help!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I hope it works out for you...