Time Capsule: Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FuuFuu, Jul 23, 2008.

1. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

It seems i can't find any threads that discusses about Time Capsule, or its been posted but no replies. I'm thinking of buying one since if i lose any of my data i'm eternally screwed. but if i hear anything about time capsule its bad. opinions please

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is a help forum. You only hear the bad things because no one creates a thread to say, "My *insert Apple product here* works great!"

That's not interesting, the thread's over after the first post, and it's wasteland bound.

I've not actually heard of any problems with Time Capsule other than user error, but I could be wrong.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's more expensive than buying an AEBS and an external drive and there is increased risk of failure with the two components (Airport and Drive) combined in one unit, but otherwise the product is very good.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I've been using a Time Capsule for about 5 months with no problems.

Only negative? I still can't figure out how to get the thing to talk to the XBox360 wireless adapter.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I'm not sure there's an increased risk of failure. Instead, the risk is that one or the other fails and as a result you have to replace the entire thing (which isn't entirely true because you can still use the wireless if the drive goes bad). So maybe there's an increased risk of a component failing, but not of total failure.

Anyway, the pro is that you get two items in a single box that are guaranteed to work for a price that is roughly comparable to purchasing things separately. As with pretty much everything apple makes you can get nearly the same functionality from someone else for less, but it doesn't necessarily work as well.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Who makes the XBox? Microsoft? Oh, yeah.

7. Lakeland macrumors newbie

TimeCapsule W/AppleCare

I recently was reading about AppleCare for any desktop or notebook computer and it actually covers any Apple wireless basestations, including the TimeCapsule, for the length of AppleCare.

I agree that it does carry a certain amount of risk having the wireless and external drive in the same unit, but when they are both covered by AppleCare I would say it's a very good buy!

8. FuuFuu thread starter macrumors regular

FuuFuu

on average how far will the time capsule hold.

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

By "how far" do you mean "how much"?

There is a 500GB and a 1TB model.

If by "how far" you meant how far back the "time machine" will go, it depends ammount of data you have on your harddrive. (Ex: If you have 500GB full on your computer harddrive, then the 500GB model will only give you 1 full backup. A 1 TB model will give you substantially more based on how often your data changes).

10. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

offsite backup

Do not forget that offsite backup is important. Who cares if your Time Capsule has everything backed up on it if your house burns down, hmm? Or maybe you are counting on a very polite burglar who takes only your computer and not your Time Capsule..?

I use http://mozy.com/ There are other services similar to it.