time Capsule, PS3 & DSi?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flyfish29, Jun 30, 2009.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I am getting ready to buy a MacBook Pro 15" and Time Capsule 500 GB.

Are both a PS3 and my son's DSi going to work well with the Time Capsule?

Currently I have a Linksys Router- older version, but it has been super reliable with my school's iBook and MacBook laptops connecting wirelessly. However, with both the PS3 (even using ethernet) and DSi I have to reset the Linksys Router to get them to work.

Thoughts?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Having a first gen Time Capsule, hardwired PS3 and DSi myself, I can tell you that they'll all work with your TC without problems. The only issue I can foresee is that although the DSi has the ability to join a WPA/WPA2 enabled network, the games that use Nintendo WiFi only support joining a WEP network. With the current gen TC, you're capable of creating multiple networks including a guest network. I'd suggest creating a WEP guest network and have your son's DSi join that one. The DSi doesn't need to access any other devices on your network so it should be fine as long as it can connect to the Internet.

3. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

That is great news- thanks

So is there a reason you hard wire your PS3? Have you tried to use it wirelessly?

Right now my son won't be using the DSi much online (I restrict that for now), but we do connect to it occasionally to download something and in a year or two he will be wanting to get it online often I am sure.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I have tried connecting my PS3 wirelessly and I can't report any problems. The main reason I chose to hardwire it is because I know there can be interferrence at times with a WiFi connection, and I don't want my games to be dropping out or lagging due to that. It's more of a precaution than anything. Also, I'd already ran an ethernet cable for my PS2 since I used to play FFXI so switching it over to my PS3 seemed like a good idea at the time.

If that's all you're using the WiFi for the DSi for, then a WPA2 encrypted network would work just fine. I'm hoping in the future that they'll release DS/DSi games capable of joining a WPA2 network. It would be great if they could have it as a DSi exclusive feature (cartridge detects your system is a DSi, enables WPA2) but we'll see what Nintendo has up their sleeves.

5. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I already had my ethernet run for my PS2 as well (Battlefield Modern Combat) so I have done the same thing- I may try wireless at some point, but I guess there is no reason to not keep using the ethernet as it is already up there.

thanks for the help.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Glad to help! I guess being a gamer finally came in handy haha.