Time Capsule purchase advice; mainly as External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DominusNovus, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DominusNovus macrumors member

I'm looking to purchase, this Christmas, both a new wireless router and an external hard drive. Since Time Capsule has both features, and I'm a casual fanboy, so I'm considering purchasing a 2TB model and giving Apple some money.

Of course, I have a few questions, and the forums have never steered me wrong in the past. I don't have any great need for the actual back up capability of the device, please keep that in mind (the last time my HD died, the only files I truly regret losing are the incriminating kind that you don't want your kids accidentally finding... So, it was kinda a silver lining situation).

1) What are people's general impressions of Time Capsule, particularly for someone who doesn't really need the back up feature, if there's any outstanding info a quick googling wouldn't reveal?
    2) Is it possible to partition the HD so I can use it in any fashion for my bootcamped Win7? Again, I have no need for backing up files (all my googling on this topic led me to discussions of trying to back up Win files).
    3) If I run applications, the most demanding of which would be gaming (mostly strategy games, possibly some SW:TOR if I'm in the mood), how bad might the lagging be, assuming the TC is connected to my computer by Ethernet? How bad might it be if they're conected via wifi?
    4) If I were to get a separate HD and router, how bad might the lagging be in that situation, if the HD is directly connected to the router?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Apple Extreme and an external HD (that can be easily sized by you) is likely a better fit for your requirements.

I have 3TB Time Capsule with the HD dedicated to backups. My external data libraries are all on thunderbolt drives.