Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dpupsky1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Just purchased new 2TB time capsule and intended to use it as a backup HD with time machine. Currently using a macbook 2.2 ghz core 2 2mg ram 150gb hd. I bought snow leopard and planned on doing an upgrade to include lion.

Problem is that I've had bad luck with previous 1 TB HDs and I'm uncomfortable using one that is plugged into an electrical outlet constantly (electrical short or outage could fry system). Also, my intention was to do a back up with time machine and then copy files such as pics/vids and music to a second external HD. My understanding is that once I remove those files, any subsequent time machine backups wouldn't have the info or would just cause a lot of extra work and hassle to retrieve.

I'm desparately looking for a solution that will allow me to use time capsule (as either a stand-alone HD or the wireless route as it was intended), use time machine, remove those files from my laptop to free up space and have access to them easily. I plan on having a backup of those pics/vids and movies on a separate HD as well...Afer going through 2 bad experiences with losing files, i've become super paranoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking that there has to be an easier way. Thank you.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I have an Air, so hard drive space is somewhat limited. I keep all of my Aperture videos, iMovie projects, and old downloads on an external USB drive that I physically plug into the Air.

I have the new 2TB Time Capsule as well. When Time Machine runs on the Air, it backs up both the Air's internal drive, as well as the external drive (assuming it's plugged in), all to the Time Capsule. So if either drive crashes, my Time Capsule backup has it.

I also have the Time Capsule (and cable modem) plugged into a cheap UPS. If the power goes out for a few minutes (which it seems to do a lot during these summer thunderstorms), I don't lose Internet, and I don't have to worry about power surges/brownouts screwing with the Time Capsule.

When you say "remove those files from my laptop to free up space and have access to them easily", what exactly do you mean? Move them to an external HD that you will plug into your laptop when you need them? Or are you trying to move them full-time to the Time Capsule and access them via WiFi when you need them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.