Time Capsule Question - as a wireless hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wh00pers, Nov 5, 2008.

1. wh00pers macrumors newbie

I live in an apartment and we all share the same router which sits outside in the hallway. Its a Dlink 802.11g router by the way. Anyways, I want to buy a Time Capsule as a wireless hard drive for my laptop, but worried about a couple things. If I connect it as an extended network to the 802.11g router will that reduce the performance of file transfer. And also is it possible just to use it as a wireless hard drive and have it not be connected to any network?

Thanks!

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

As long as no other devices are connected to the n-protocol you will not see a reduction.

You can use it without an IP connection but of throws a fit and makes setup many times more difficult.

3. EdbBob macrumors member

If you connect via Wifi, you are transfering files at 54 Mb/s (max). That's ok for smaller files, but if you want to backup a 300 GB harddrive it'll take 14 hours, if everything is working perfectly. Use a good Gb ethernet cable (cat6) if you can. That's a lot faster, and it's a must if you want to watch HD movies over a network (you will! ;))

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

He said that he would be connecting to the 802.11g router. If you do this, you will not see the benefits of 802.11n. I suggest you run a cable from the 802.11g router to the TC and put the TC in bridge mode. Set the TC to 802.11n only at either 2.4 or 5 GHz.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Bridging by Ethernet will allow full benefit of n-protocol.