Time Capsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleiBoy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. AppleiBoy macrumors newbie

Sorry, if this has been posted elsewhere, but...

Can you make a TIme Capsule act as a network-attatched storage drive instead of backup. Really just want all of my iTunes media to be on it, so I can have everything when I need it (at home of course) but not from an attached hard drive.

Thanks!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Yes you can use it as a NAS.

/Jim

3. AppleiBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

If I could add to the discussion further, would a Time Capsule be a better purchase than say a Seagate GoFlex which will eventually support ThunderBolt

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Depends, the Time Capsule has a lot more capabilities however speaking strictly of using something for storage purposes the Seagate would be better.

5. AppleiBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Say I wanted to transfer a movie wirelessly to the time capsule, how long would it take.. I do have pretty good internet connections? :) :apple:

6. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

1gig is around 3 minutes wireless.

7. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Your internet connection wouldn't have anything to do with it, it'll depend on how good a connection there is between you computer and the timecapsule

8. AppleiBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean the internet has nothing to do with it? It's a wireless device isn't it?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, but the traffic from your devices to the NAS only travel on your local network and do not go out on the internet. Your local wireless speeds will be what matters.

If you do go for a third party NAS, just be sure you connect the NAS to your router using wired Ethernet. Otherwise you will reduce your throughput by a factor of two.

B