time capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SuperMiguel, Oct 31, 2011.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

How many days does my time machine backups to my time capsule? my current system is using 100GB and its backup its 400GB :S how much more will it increase?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

That depends on how often you're changing files on your system. Time Machine backs up until the Time Capsule is full, then will start deleting older backups to make room for new backups.

One problem I've come across is virtual machines that write to a large image file rather than using a partition for the OS. If you're using a virtual machine (ie, Parallels Desktop with Windows), you'll want to make sure that the folder to which your virtual machine saves its image file is excluded from the backups.

3. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

that sucks

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

There are some things you can do to keep your Time Machine backups from filling up your Time Capsule. If you have a certain folder that changes quite often, you should probably exclude that from your TM backups and manually back it up elsewhere. That'll save space on your Time Capsule. And if you're using the TC as a NAS, it might be worthwhile to get a USB HDD and connect that to the TC for storage while keeping the TC's internal drive free for TM backups.